Is it legal to lock a main breaker box?

This thread has taken a life of its own. I'm surprised no one has quite Aristotle, or Confucious.
Confucious say man who pull meter without jumper in for a shock.
But that says nothing about a horrific accident being likely to happen because someone pulls a residential meter without jumpering across it.
Add pictures here
✖
On 6/12/2012 8:01 AM, snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net wrote:

I would be more worried about a horrific accident screwing around with jumper wires in tight spaces with 5000-10000 available fault amps.
--
bud--

Add pictures here
✖

I also note that the above clearly talks about this feature only in the context of being used to avoid service interruption during the meter removal. That makes sense. You would think if it was an important safety issue for meter removal that they would say so. Also, with all the meter's out there without this feature, we should be hearing about serious accidents where the meter is just pulled. Have any of those?
Add pictures here
✖
On Jun 11, 7:06 pm, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

Same here in NJ. I've seen meters swapped exactly as you say. Pull old one out, put new one in. At least for residential service. Even the maker of the meter box George points to says the tabs are there to allow for the option of not interrupting the service. You'd think if they were critical to preventing some fatal arc-over, they would say so.
Add pictures here
✖

I was a volunteer fireman. We pop the meter out. 10 seconds. As safe as anything can be in that business. -- Doug
Add pictures here
✖
On Jun 9, 4:16 am, snipped-for-privacy@none.com wrote:

It sounds more like the business whose electrical service is arranged in this manner got hosed by the contractor which installed that particular style of enclosure given its location and the fact that it can be tampered with...
You should look at what possible replacements you could install which would be more tamper resistant... Installing an accessory padlock hasp on the particular enclosure you have now might only result in damage to the enclosure the next time the pranksters want to play at flipping the switch...
Is that the only means of service disconnect ? Is the meter can located adjacent to it ? Is the breaker panel inside main lug only or does it have an additional means of disconnect {a main breaker) also ?
It seems like the question to ask is why that specific type of equipment was installed... Was it required by the AHJ or was it just the best the contractor who installed it could cobble together ?
Add pictures here
✖
On 6/9/2012 2:04 PM, Evan wrote:

Probably not. Unfused service lines must be as short as possible after entering the building. It isn't all that unusual in commercial occupancies to have the main panel located some distance inside so the service lines need to be fused before that location.

Add pictures here
✖
On Saturday, June 9, 2012 4:16:49 AM UTC-4, (unknown) wrote:

How about the landlord? She runs a business so obviously this is commercial space. If the space is leased, the breaker access is the responsibility of the landlord.
Add pictures here
✖
In typed:

wOw, you don't often get to see a display of ignorance as displayed in this thread, especially when it's to easy to get the answer from the/a horse's mouth, not one of the asses here. A few of you were brave enough to feed the troll, but ... in general he's just a waste of skin without bones in it.
Add pictures here
✖

So, of course you chimed in because you wanted to add to the ignorance and we know you can contribute a lot. Thanks for stopping by.
Add pictures here
✖