I have a water problem in the summer home I am in the process of
purchasing. I have determined the problem to be iron in the water
creating a sulphur smell. Called a local company (pur waterworks out
of traverse city, mi) they suggested the greensand/potassium
permangnate filter. He warned of other companies trying to sell the
aeration/chlorine method. Said the chlorine would cause problems in
the drain field. Have read in places that chlorine poses a small
health hazard. (cancers). So I agreed with him. Price installed
$1495. Called Culligan ($2100) and they suggested aeration/chlorine
method. Said the the potassium permangnate is dangerous and not
healthy. Said that the chlorine was no problem for drain field due to
the small amounts. Still the health issues from the chlorine are a
concern. Found information in other places that said potassium
permangnate was not a health concern but a fire concern. What is a
guy to do? My head is swimming. Any suggestions? What have you all
tried and what has worked?
Ask your neighbors what they do. In some areas there are iron fixing
bacteria that use iron in the well water and give off a ugly scum that
looks like horrible pollution. What people do is super chlorinate the
well every few months manually and kill of the bacteria for a while.
Even some utilities do it (or at least they used to when I lived in a
rural area with a private well company supplying water.)
Did you had an actual water analysis done?
Iron just causes an iron taste, or rusty stains, or possibly water that
does not change color when you flush it (yellow or brown). A rotten egg
smell is usually hydrogen sulphide (H2S). Removal methods will remove
both, but a manganese greensand filter would have to be regenerated more
often to remove H2S than just iron, and could leave black stains in your
fixtures if manganese leeches out. Potasium Permaginate is a strong
oxident and can cause spontanious combustion if it comes in contact with
certain substances (like glycerin which is a soap byproduct).
Frankly, I would avoid a water supply with H2S if at all possible unless
it can be aerated out in a well ventilated area. If it has not been
removed, it will be very noticeable when the water is aerated (like when
taking a shower). When you no longer notice that rotten egg smell, it
could mean that it has burned out your nose.
I am not a water treatment expert, just worked for a municipal well
driller while in school, and sell/service large automatic valves for
municipal/industrial and water treatment use.
David Efflandt - All spam ignored http://www.de-srv.com /
H2S in well water is very easily and affordably treated. There are
numerous types of treatment; atmospheric aeration, aeration such as air
injection or an air pump systems (my favorite), Centaur carbon, regular
carbon in some instances, ozone, hydrogen peroxide solution feeders,
chlorination in either solution feeders of 2-3 types or pellet droppers
in 2-3 types, or oxidizing type filter minerals like Pyrolox in either
backwashed only or regenerated with chlorine water and manganese
greensand regenerated with potassium permanganate which is a poor
choice. And there are combinations of 2-3 of the above types of
treatments especially with aeration and chlorine. And then there are KDF
and Watersweet(?) medias.
There's really no reason to say no to a house with any type of water
quality problem. There is usually something wrong with practically
any/all well waters, many folks that think their water is good (based on
one coliform bacteria test (a few years ago) simply don't know what, and
won't look for any.
Quality Water Associates
firstname.lastname@example.org (Chris VanSice) wrote in message
Does the house have a water softener? If so you may be able to solve
this problem simply by running the softener on a regular basis, using
the salt with anti-rust additives. Other than that, I would say go
with the "ask the neighbors" approach. One last thing, don't wash
clothes there until you get this resolved, they can be irretrievably
HomeOwnersHub.com is a website for homeowners and building and maintenance pros. It is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here.
All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.