Intelligent satnav?

You have very wide roads or very narrow vehicles. My fondness for bike paths has increased as my desire to share the road with F350 dualies pulling horse trailers has decreased.

Reply to
rbowman

The worst here in corn/soybean country is probably harvest. It's been raining a lot so the guys will probably have to leave the trucks on the road. They'll be blocking the whole road while dumping the grain carts. Spring planting isn't quite so bad. Farmers can't go unless the ground is dry so the equipment can be off road unless moving from one field to the other. I'm guessing top speed for tractors is in the upper 20s mph. There is one European tractor that can make highway speeds. Too bad HD doesn't make farm equipment.

Reply to
Dean Hoffman

Yeah, we've just been through a very bad forest fire season. It may just be terminology but we don't have fire roads in that sense. Some that go from point A to B were associated with mining or lumbering. Then there is the maze of logging roads that were created to get to a specific stand of timber and may or may not connect with anything. To make it more interesting some are gated seasonally. Most of those are on Forest Service land and have numeric designators like 12345,

Back in the '80s before civilian GPSs I worked for the FS. One task was to load a pickup (ute) with a pile of posts, numeric signs, a shovel, post hole digger, and a large scale topographic map and go off into the woods trying to identify and sign the roads. It often devolved into counting the third road on the left past an known intersection. That was complicated by loggers having heavy equipment available to build roads wherever they damn well pleased.

I'd do the same with a backpack full of trail markers to try to sign them. Many of the trails were very seldom used and maintained even less. I'm sure I probably hung trail signs on a few game trails that were going in the right general direction.

The GPS has really changed that game.

Reply to
rbowman

I was raised in upstate NY. There's a reason I left the state in the early '70s.

Reply to
rbowman

At Blyth the satnav says take the A1 then the M18. That option is 26 miles but going via Oldcoates is 9 miles but 1 minute longer. You can't tell me that going at a sensible speed along a decent B road for 9 miles uses more fuel than going 26 miles down the motorway at 70mph.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

Normally modern farm machinery does 25mph on public roads.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

Are you thinking of the JCB Fastrac ?

Be surprised if other manufacturers haven't done something similar by now, nothing from John Deere ?

Lamborghini still make tractors though the car division famous for the sports cars was sold off a long time ago, a mate of a mate had one on a farm he ran on Lundy Island in the Bristol Channel . The place has no roads to speak of and telling visitors he had a Lamborghini often brought a look of skeptism till he drove past pointing out the badge.

G.Harman

Reply to
damduck-egg

wrote

Corse they have. The local council mows the parks with one here.

Reply to
Rod Speed

James Wilkinson Sword posted for all of us...

Most have an 'avoid' choice when the itinerary is shown.

Reply to
Tekkie®

On Mon, 09 Oct 2017 19:22:52 +0100, Tekkie=AE wrote= :

that way? For example it takes you on a road you know is closed at a c= ertain point. Mine only lets me say "there's a road block in 1 mile, 2 = miles, 3 miles etc, it's not easy to just say "don't take that road". I= f it was a human you'd just say "avoid the A68" etc.

All I get is "road block in 2 miles" etc. But I might not know how far = ahead the road is blocked. If I say 1 mile, it might take me around whe= re the blockage isn't, then back on the road just before the blockage. = If I say 3 miles, it might not get me off soon enough. There should be= an "avoid the programmed route for the next 5 miles" or something. I d= o have "find alternative route" but that never seems to make it do anyth= ing sensible.

-- =

A gang-member was holding his 8-month-old baby while his wife was in kit= chen fixing lunch. The baby murmured "mother". The guy gets all excited and hollered to his wife "Hey, the baby just sa= id half a word!"

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

My ancient Garmin receives traffic warnings, so it will warn of a delay or closure many miles ahead. Touch the warning and it will ask whether to divert to avoid it and offer a new route along with however many minutes it will save. Simple enough to do on the move if necessary - as it tends to be if you are on a motorway and there is an emergency closure ahead.

SteveW

Reply to
Steve Walker

I bet that's it. We see JCB construction equipment in my area but not any farm equipment.

Reply to
Dean Hoffman

Bet it isnt. Our council has one that it mows the parks with and it does normal car speeds between the parks.

Bet your verge mowers do too.

Reply to
Rod Speed

The old dual power MH44 would do 30 in road gear if you were brave enough and stupid enough to try - - - The old Norseman would go even faster, if you were even stupider and braver.

Reply to
clare

Or a Fendt.

Reply to
clare

The slower it goes, the easier it is to overtake.

And if I was driving it, I'd pull over in laybys to let people past. Where is politeness nowadays?

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

We have some of those scary "trackless" units used for plowing sidewalks, mowing parks, and numerous other jobs that will do 50kph - scary things that dart around like water striders.

Reply to
clare

Yeah, we have those too. I'd be surprised if everyone doesn't, they are rather better for the areas with lots of trees etc.

Reply to
Rod Speed

ROFLMAO! Coming from you, that is hilarious!

Reply to
joe schmoe

DJC