Our vacant house had been on the market for 3 weeks when a second floor toilet supply line broke and let water pour through the house for at least 24 hours. The dryout took 2 weeks but the independent adjuster was there on day 2. He recommended a contractor but we felt that we needed more than one estimate. This absolutely befuddled the adjuster. In any case, we were waiting for the adjuster to tell us what would be covered so we would know what to ask contractors to bid on but he would not finalize his estimate until his "buddy", the contractor, produced his own. Then the 2 folks made their bottom line numbers agree. We examined the contractor's estimate and found several issues but the adjuster would not modify his estimate before submitting it to our insurance company. So, now we are in the process of requesting a supplement. This is much more difficult.
Note that, during this time, we had been told that we would get an initial payout of the depreciated cost of the repairs, less the deductible. If we actually had the repairs done then they would pay whatever it cost, allowing even another 20% on top of that for overhead and profit to a general contractor.
OK, so keep in mind that this house was on the market and the market here is really bad - there is about a 6-month supply of houses on the market TODAY. So, along comes a flipper with a lowball offer to buy the house as-is, for cash, with no home inspection. Our realtor told us to take the offer and be happy with it because we could end up fixing the house and then getting it back on the crowded market, losing another month or so, and then still have to wait for another buyer. So, we took the offer but are continuing to fight the insurance company for the items that they missed.
Well, this is the problem: The house is sold. I took tons of pictures of the items that we have issues with. Now the insurance company is giving us the "have the contractor contact us when he's ready to do the work and we will discuss any additional items then" runaround. And now, the adjuster is saying "well, now that you raise all of these issues I think that there were some items that I over- estimated on so I guess I'll just need to come out and re-inspect." Is that a threat or what?
They are making out like crazy because they don't have to pay for all of the work - just the depreciated value. So is it unreasonable to expect them to pay for the "hypothetical" need to remove the radiators before replacing the subfloors and hardwood floors instead of making a contractor tell them that they cannot do the work with the radiators in place?
I have spoken with the state Bureau of Insurance and they can't help us. This is a weird case of a homeowner fighting to be paid for work they are not going to have done. But, WE ARE ENTITLED TO THE MONEY ANYWAYS!!!
Gosh, can anybody help??? Nothing this vague in nature is in the policy or anywhere else.
Thanks for reading this far.