insulation question

I am digging out my crawl space. Want to insulate between the floor joists. The joists are 2x6's 24 inches on center. In many places I will be 'sistering' another 2x6 along side. What do you do in these oddball spaces. Do you trim the 22"± insulation to size or do you just cram it in.

Also, since I am doing it from beneath, what are my alternatives for holding the insulation in place. I would like to use paper-backed and will be installing it 'paper-up' preventing me from using a stapler.

All ideas and criticisms welcome!!

Ivan Vegvary

Reply to
Ivan Vegvary

No! No!

I would put the vapor barrier to the ground in this application, not up.. This would allow a combination of dead air and insulation if you staple the flanges on the joist bottoms. A layer of chicken wire would prevent bagging and critter damage.

Reply to
DanG

I've seen folks use a "springy" kind of steel wire, maybe 18 gauge, that has pre cut pointed ends. Push the insulation up into the bay between the joists for a run of a couple of feet, stick one pointy end into the wood on the side of the joist, bend a sort of upward curving "bow" in the wire such that it pushes the inslation against the underside of th loor, and stick the other pointy into the joist on the other side f the bay.

Its hard to descrbe, but its really easy to do.

Reply to
jJim McLaughlin

Why not use bubble/foil?

Staple it to the bottom of the joists.

Reply to
<kjpro

vapor barrior towards towards the heated side. Job job.

There are straight peices of wire, that jams between the joists. I&#39;ve seen them at HD.

Note while spending time down there, think about installing a ground covered vapor barriar too.

imho,

tom @

Just Joshin