Insulation for 4" exhaust fan duct - available?

I'm installing a bathroom exhaust fan, and I want to insulate the exhaust duct. I'm planning to use 4" solid exhaust duct. Where can I find insulation for this 4" round duct?

Reply to
Lee

You can find fiberglass pipe wrap at the big boxes or probably a True Value or Sentry. My concern was the effectiveness of the flaps.

Reply to
New & Improved - N/F John

Not to be a smart alec, but why do you want to insulate it?

Reply to
HeatMan

I worked for a manufacturers rep many years ago. One of the lines we carried was pipe insulation in sizes from 1/2" to 12" with various types of insulating material and several different sheaths.

If you contact Accessible Products Co.

2122 W 5th Place Tempe, AZ 85281 Phone: (480) 967-8888 Toll Free: (800) 922-5252 Fax: (480) 894-6255

they may be able to give you the name of their representative/distributor in your area.

No, I have nothing to do with Accessible Products anymore.

____________________ Bill Waller New Eagle, PA

snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net

Reply to
Bill Waller

Reply to
Art Todesco

I don't know the specifics of your installation, but if at all possible, try to slope the majority of the line towards the outside vent. That allows any condensation that builds up to drain off outside the building and not back into your fan.

As for the insulation, I just put an extra layer of fiberglass batts over my vent lines in the attic space (ours vent out the gable end walls). They're probably better insulated than the rest of our house. :)

You could also wrap the pipe with fiberglass batts and use string, duct tape, plastic zip ties, or something similar to hold it all in place.

Alternatively, use long strips of insulation, and start wrapping at one end, overlapping the previous wrap by a 1/2 width or so with each turn. This would give you about twice the insulating value and no gaps in the insulation.

Anthony

Reply to
HerHusband

Okay, that makes sense. Around here, it doesn't get THAT cold....

Reply to
HeatMan

Why not use the pre-insulated flexible duct? The big box stores around here all carry it. Unless your run is really long, the extra losses won't be an issue on the push side of the fan, and it will be quieter.

HTH,

Paul

Reply to
Paul Franklin

I might end up using flexible duct, as the run is short. I didn't find it at the local Lowe's store however. Will check Home Depot.

Reply to
Lee

Thank you Bill. I'll give them a call.

Reply to
Lee

I wish I could slope the duct down, but I have to route the duct about 2 feet over and 4 feet up to vent through an outside wall.

Thanks for the idea of using the fiberglass bats, that sounds like it would work quite well. Not too hard on this short run either. I might do that if I can't find 4" pipe insulation locally. So far I found only 6".

Reply to
Lee