Instant Cooling to 35deg.F

I was afraid to make that comment! Coming from the other side of The Pond, ice cold beer just ain't beer! ;)

Reply to
clot

However, when you are shopping for beer in an American convenience store, you want it so cold that if you bump the bottle little ice crystals instantly form in it. There's a HUGE difference between an American-style lager and a good stout or porter. They're both ostensibly called "beer" but they're two different beverages entirely and comparisons are unfair.

Now Budweiser, that's just nuckin' fasty.

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

But it doesn't get even _close_ to the -50F Nick suggests obtaining to meet the desired 15 sec cooling time which is where this subthread originated..

--

Reply to
dpb

The OP just has to learn to hit the bottle just right. Liquid to ice in a few seconds.

Kitep

that's called a "supercooled liquid" - you can actually cool a liquid below its freezing point if it is very, very still - but jostle it a little bit and it will immediately undergo a phase transformation.

I wouldn't recommend that video for a high school physics class though :)

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

Better than Stroh's. Or Rhinelander (possibly the worst beer in the world; definitely the worst I've ever tasted).

Reply to
Doug Miller

Chris Friesen wrote in news:13dbggib0u61q20 @corp.supernews.com:

When I worked in a shop, the heat treating dept had a frig chest for heat/cool treating powdered metal parts. It went to -180/-200 F. Half the time when you opened it there were big plastic parts bins full of ice for the after work ball game. Sometimes they even brought ball game equipment.

Reply to
Al Bundy

No. You confuse temperature and heat. The phase change is crucial.

Reply to
Richard J Kinch

Well, yes, but so is lowering the temperature at which that phase transition occurs.

Reply to
Doug Miller

The retention of melt water is a spoiler at any temperature. The product must be in continuous, intimate thermal contact with the unmelted ice, and the melt water rapidly drained away. This is what makes the heat transfer fast. Undrained, the heat transfer slows down remarkably. The melt water has no appreciable heat-sinking capacity, and just interferes with the heat leaving the beverage and flowing to the ice. And the OPs desire was for the fastest possible chill. Using brine (or glycol antifreeze if you really want to experiment) will also lower the terminal temperature, although it slows down reaching it, to where the beverage will be frozen and slushy, not good.

Reply to
Richard J Kinch

Heh. I shipped to Germany in 1962. All local bars served warm beer - very good beer.

Shipped again in 1968 - many local, GI patronized bars now had chilled beer. The guys like me who had been there before always had the beer warmed (little electric heaters they stuck in the mug).

Then there was the NCO club. They served german beer but were required to push American. Became automatic to order a German brew and recieve an American with it which promptly got poured out.

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K

Yup. A troll. Anyway Mythbusters on TV did the experiments. Discharging a CO2 fire extinguisher on the can will do a decent job cooling the beer. The wisdom of carrying around a CO2 thingy for this purpose will probably be something George will think a pretty good idea.

Reply to
PaPaPeng

Beer is easy. Don't worry about chilling it en route to your camp spot. Worry about will it warm up enough to drink when you get there.

Favorite white water rafting and desert camping trick. Works with canned beer only. Freeze the beer rock solid for two three days. It isn't hard to find room in a separate freezer to freeze 6 or 12. Beer freezes at a very low temperature, about 2 degrees fahrenheit. Once frozen it'll store forever in the freezer.

Does not work with non alcholic stuff. Non alcoholic stuff freezes at too high a temperature.

Use the frozen beer to keep the food in the cooler cold. Haul out a couple when you arrive so they defrost in time to drink.

Reply to
jJim McLaughlin

Calcium chloride is a salt. The ASHRAE HOF says a 32% solution starts to crystallize at -19.5 F, 30% at -50.8, 29.87% at -67.0, 29% at -49.4,

25% at -21.0, and 20% at -0.4. We might start at 30% and use just enough ice (about 12/16(70-35)/144 = 0.2 pounds) to make the beer exactly 35 F when the ice has all melted (frozen beer is no good), including the coolth from the heat capacity and temperature of the final solution and calcium chloride's heat of dilution.

... 1 minute, IIRC. The best sodium chloride solution is 23% at -5.1 F.

Nick

Reply to
nicksanspam

Or rapidly stirred...

Nick

Reply to
nicksanspam

I worked with Siemens in 1975. In Munich, they cooled beer in the chilled air ducts of their large computers.

Nick

Reply to
nicksanspam

On Aug 29, 9:51 pm, "clot" wrote: .

. I say. A chap shouldn't be afraid of defending their preference for warm beer old boy. Is there really any other way? I mean to say; the need to chill any beer to a temperature where you can't taste the darn stuff anyway may mean that it's not good beer anyway; what? And as to this stuff in bottles and tin cans! Well ..................... what can one say. Only good for cooking a chicken on a barbecue; as one associate often says! Now a Guiness etc. at close to room temperature "Is good for you". :-) Cold beer? UGH!

Reply to
terry

I worked with a large telephone equipment manufacturing company in the late 1950s. Electro-mechanical telephone equipment then worked on large quantities of 48 volts DC. Many of the technicians tools included a little resistor that could be wired up to the 48 volts to hang into and quickly heat one single mug of water to make tea. The resistors, which were usually stained dark brown from the teal leaves used (few tea bags then) didn't burn out because the excess heat well above their, in air rating, boiled the water! Didn't take long for a one or two unnoticed amps at 48 volts to boil one cup of water. Watts = Volts (48) times amps (2) = 96 watts. As much almost as a 100 watt light bulb!

Reply to
terry

The best was ice-water-salt, which cooled a 6 pack to 38º F in 5 minutes.

willshak

That's just complete nonsense -- suggest you look up, and compare, the specific heat of water vs. specific heat of ice.

Which is achieved using the fastest possible heat transfer. Again -- suggest you investigate which is capable of absorbing, and transferring, heat at a greater rate, ice or water.

Reply to
Doug Miller