installing window a/c

It seems most new window a/c's dont come with installation brackets anymore. My building has new aluminum windows and the difference in sill height to the a/c is 6". the sill is narrow and angled so wood doesnt give adequate support. I have tried contacting several a/c dealers to ask about buying what looks like shelf brackets (they come standard with larger Friedrich units) but the dealers look like i am from mars, yet here in NYC, you look up at most of these air conditioners and they all have them. These brackets must be coming from somewhere. Is this a professional installers secret or do they exist. thanks.

Reply to
Ben Coleman

"Ben Coleman" wrote in news:wzJFc.48117$ snipped-for-privacy@twister.nyc.rr.com:

Try these a/c window supports:

Wayne

Professional installers dont do window units..

But no..its not a secret..the Home Depot here sells them, as does Lowes...as does about everywhere else that sells window units..

Since you are in NYC, give Stormy Moron a call and he can come out with a

2X4 and some nails to support it..:)
Reply to
CBHVAC

"Ben Coleman" wrote in news:wzJFc.48117$ snipped-for-privacy@twister.nyc.rr.com:

You need to build up the sill so its even with the lip using a piece of wood. Cut it to size & secure it. Than secure the side panels into the side of the window. Be careful before cutting or drilling into new windows. Your landlord will be very pissed. I spent a couple of summers installing those suckers in Washington Heights. Nothing a landlord hates more than screwing up new windows. Those installations were a bitch.

Most of the Freidrich's come with brackets, but they are sliders. You install the case first than slide the machine in. Fedders use to have shitty brackets, but I don't know if they still do.

Reply to
HO

My input is to have the unit installed by a reliable & competent company. It's very difficult to call someone, get the info & material to install then become an expert overnight. Professional installers & their way of doing it has come over time & their experiences. Do have the guarantees & Warranties that go with the installation. When corners are cut & without the correct experience is when one gets into trouble. Over the years I have seen this to many time . Get a reliable firm to do the installation.

Don't tell me what I can understand, tell me what I can't mis-understand (Gen. Douglas McArthur)! No matter what you do you are a problem solver....what do you do? Arthur, Website:

Email: snipped-for-privacy@bellsouth.net

Reply to
Arthur

You can see a couple of window air conditioner mounting brackets at the following link and a tutorial on installing a window unit at the second:

JFYI

Dan O.

- Appliance411.com

=Ð~~~~~~

height to

Friedrich

Reply to
Dan O.

CBHVAC posted for all of us....

What's the Stumped Moron gonna do? Drive the nails into the AC and use the 2x4 to fix the broken jamb?

Reply to
Tekkie

Sorry but a couple of times I've been through the procedure described using the exact brackets from the first URL and it just doesn't work properly. In my case I have vinyl replacement windows (mostly) and I'm not about to put a screw into their sill and the sill below it (four inches below) is stone or brick. I don't really want to drill into that either and even if I did the A/C would have to be supported through that four inches. Not too safe.

Not to put words into his mouth but I think the brackets the OP was talking about (I too live in NYC and I see them all the time) are supported from long arms that attach to the sides of the window frame maybe three feet up from the sill. They have a frame the size of the base of the A/C and the arms attach to the extreme outside of the frame. No I can't find them either. Maybe they're custom made.

But I do have a solution. Don't support the A/C from the bottom; support it from the top. Cut a piece of strong wood (like 3/4 oak) the width of the window so that it rides in the window channels where the double hung windows slide. Make the height about double the height of the lip at the top of the A/C. If you're really worried about strength laminate together (screw and glue) two pieces of oak (to make 1 1/2) and/or screw mending plates to the end where it goes into the guides. (Even better construct it in titanium .) Paint it (match the A/C color), put the A/C in the window resting on the sill (hold it firmly) and slide the support bar down on the top of the A/C behind the lip. Screw through the predrilled holes in the support lip so that no one can inadvertently pull the support bar up and you're right for the summer.

One other little point. Obviously the A/C mfgs (except Kenmore) have never heard of vinyl replacement windows otherwise they would have offset the side curtains the thickness of the top lip so they can slide into the window channels. To make up for their incompetence, cut a slight offset in the support bar the width of the lip so the A/C hangs about 1/8" further out. I used the table saw but one could use a router.

Reply to
SpamFree