installing light in tiled shower ceiling

Folks,

I'm redoing my shower stall. I'm interested in tiling the shower ceiling, and putting a recessed light fixture in place, as well.

Are there any issues with installing a recessed light in a tile ceiling?

- Thanks, in advance,

Todd

Reply to
Todd

Todd wrote: ...

Not particularly that I'm aware of -- there's one in the shower stall here that's been fine for nearly 30 years now.

The fixture is, of course, watertight and designed for the application including a gasket around the decorative bezel.

--

Reply to
dpb

Keep in mind because the light is in the shower, it must be on a GFI. Also, if you don't have a fan in your bath, now might be a good time to consider a light/fan combo.

Reply to
Mikepier

An excellent thought. Wasn't thinking about the GFI angle, but of course, I'll have to put the light on one. So what about tiling the ceiling? Currently, the celing is low-ish, and has sheetrock on it. My understanding is that I need to remove the plain sheetrock, apply the cement backerboard to the ceiling joists, and tile away. Any issues with this? Also, I assume it would behoove me to cut the hole out for my light before I apply the tile. :-) Any thoughts on techniques for tiling the ceiling?

Reply to
Todd

Wouldn't lighted tiles be a nice feature?

Reply to
Blattus Slafaly

I seem to recall that you can just tile right over the sheetrock, but I'm not sure. But I don't see why you can't just laminate 1/4" backer over the sheetrock as long as you screw into the joists. Its not like your going to walk on them.

Reply to
Mikepier