INSTALLING KITCHEN SINK

What will the consequences be if I don't use plumber's putty around the drain before inserting it into the sink hole?

Can you overtighten a fiber glass sink drain?

Reply to
MRS. CLEAN

Leaks.

Yes.

Reply to
Doug Miller

Leaks. You can bet on it.

Yes

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Puddles. And then rot.

If those are not what you wanted, do it properly and use $0.50 of plumbers putty.

Of course. The cracking sounds will give you a small hint that you went too far.

Reply to
Malcolm Hoar

If you don't have plumber's putty, you can also use silicone sealant (caulk). In fact, some manufacturers actually recommend silicone now as it doesn't discolor porcelain the way that some plumber's putty will.

HTH, Jonathan

Reply to
Jonathan

"MRS. CLEAN" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@14g2000cws.googlegroups.com:

If you are actually refering to the basket, then it's best to check the documentation that came with the unit and also the sink documentation. Most baskets (around here anyways) these days come with their own sealing gasket and plummers putty isn't required. If you omit using either of them however, as others have mentioned, you're only asking for trouble in the long run.

Anything can be overtightened.......

Reply to
propman

I like plumbers putty, but have been on jobs were they use silicone caulking, Siqoplex (sp) There is a lot of things that will seal a strainer basket. I never seen a Fiberglass sink drain, sure it's not just plastic. Simple test put on floor hit with hammer if it snaps more than just mush's over most likely fiberglass, Then go buy a brass/chromed one.

Reply to
Sacramento Dave

Reply to
MRS. CLEAN

ONE MORE QUESTION:

The drain came with a rubber gasket and the instructions say to use it with a metal sink.

Can I use it on a plastic sink?

Or, should I use plumbers putty?

Or, both?

I am real close to sealing this deal.