Installing a GFCI switch

To whom it may concern,

I am attempting to install a GFCI switch in the bathroom. I have two black wires, one which is a line wire and the other is a load wire, both have white wires, plus I have a red wire coming out of the line cable and I have two switch wires on the switch.

I am having difficulty wiring this switch and can not get it to work properly and when I wire the switch I lose power in the next room. Could you please tell me what I shoutl do with all the wires plus the red wire. Where should the red wire be hooked up to.

All positive consideration will be appreciated.

thank you

Dick Masterson

Reply to
mhaighirtis

I sincerely hope you made notes on how the old switch was wired. I actually take digital photos of complicated things before I disassemble them "just in case".

Without that you will have to take voltage readings off the wires with the switches in various positions and try to reconstruct how it works.

This is a combination switch-GFCI outlet you are talking about?

Reply to
Toller

buffalobill

Give a better description of your situation. You have an existing switch and GFCI outlet you are trying to replace? Or is it a faceless GFCI switch? It sounds like you have a switch, which should be straight forward, then a GFCI outlet with "line" wires" and "load wires", which you have to be sure you get wired correctly on the outlet, then you have power going out to the next room, which should most likely go onto the line side of your switch

Reply to
RBM

Be very careful with what you are doing. Read this thread about circuits with a red and a black on the 'line' side of a circuit.

RayV