Installing 6' stockade fencing.... An easier way??

Awl --

First, I'm not totally sure on how to do it the RIGHT way -- I've read vigorous debates on using concrete vs. sand and gravel only. Holmes did a fence job, used concrete.

Then the Q of the diameter of the hole, the depth, visavis expected wind load, etc. The typical stockade fencing has no gaps for wind diffusion!

An *easier* way -- but debatably better, esp. from an aethetics pov -- is to put a minimal footing down -- mebbe a piece of rebar struck a foot down -- and then tether the TOP of the fence to some firm structure: house, tree, wall, etc. This eliminates virtually all bending-type forces, assuming the top tether is strong/rigid enough.

Or, just put that angle ditty from midway on the fence, to the ground a foot out from the fence? And the Q is, what footing is used for this method?

Here's another scenario: Putting tall fences on the inside of a wall, in the traditional way, will allow a wind to exert large crowbar-like forces on the wall , increasing odds of cracking, crumbling, or toppling. Tethering at the top would eliminate this crowbar effect.

Any thoughts, opinions, experiences?

Reply to
Existential Angst

Existential Angst wrote the following:

When I had my 6' stockade fence installed professionally in 1986, the contractor only put concrete in the corner posts and in the post holes on both sides of the gate opening. The 4x4 PT posts were buried 3' into the ground all around and they have stood for about 24 years. I did replace the sections between the posts last year since they had partially rotted, and the posts were still solidly buried.

Reply to
willshak

"Existential Angst" wrote in news:4bca14cb$0$4994$ snipped-for-privacy@cv.net:

Concrete Galvanized steel posts

Reply to
ktos

On Sat 17 Apr 2010 01:06:26p, Existential Angst told us...

We just installed a 6' stockade fence in a windy desert area. We elected to use pre-constructed 8' panels affixed to 4x4s. The 4x4s are 8' long,

2' of which is embedded in concrete. We used an 80 lb bag of concrete per hole. I'd guesstimate that the holes were about 1' in diameter. Shortly after construction we a storm where the winds reached 60-70 mph. *nothing* moved, and the fence seems quite solid.
Reply to
Wayne Boatwright