Install Wood Floors Before or After Kitch Cabinets?

A properly maintained hardwood floor is likely to last as long or longer than the cabinets. In either case, they are more likely to get replaced for redecorating reasons rather than functional reasons.

A toe kick saw:

is a standard part of a floor installer's kit.

-- Doug

Reply to
Douglas Johnson

We are about five years into our traditional 3/4" oak tongue and groove kitchen floor and it looks like new. Like the original poster, our kitchen flows from an area that already had hardwood floors, so it was kind of a natural. We have a polyurethane finish. I don't think it looks as good as oil and wax, but is resistant to anything but a flood that is allowed to soak in. Small spots and scratches are easy to repair.

It has the downside of being cold and hard on the feet. Hardwood is much easier to stand on for a long time. Yes, rugs and mats can help. We thought about tile, but we did not have enough sub floor, so would have had to raise the level about a 1/2", which the wife found unacceptable.

-- Doug

Reply to
Douglas Johnson

Those people on TV are far from pros. I wouldn't let them in my house to sweep.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

"Douglas Johnson" wrote

Hey, it's the OPs and everyone's personal project. They can do it floor first, or cabinets first. People have cited their positions re: both practices. So just do it how you want. I do.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

water leak can be from anything, a leaking drain from above, a burst water filter under sink, that happened to my dad, theres so many ways for water to get where it shouldnt be.......

saying no icemakers to prevent leaks is like having leaky galvanized pipe in your home and proudly reporting I replaced a 6 foot section. without thought to all the other leaky areas

Reply to
hallerb

arge area was

her brand new

Yeah I was thinking about that. If you are going to buy a fridge with no icemaker, you might as well buy a dishwasher that uses microwave energy to clean dishes instead of water.

Reply to
Mikepier