Removing grafitti from brownstone

Someone was nice enough to give me a late Christmas present by writing some grafitti on the front of my house. Short of using a power washer (which I don't have), what is the best way to remove it from brownstone/masonry material?

I'm also worried if we just scrub it off that there will be the outline of what was there.

All help is appreciated.

Thanks

Reply to
Ray

In Chicago the city does it for free or go to a professional paint store or maybe HD for the right product, a power washer is likely best with the right product

Reply to
ransley

I'm in Philadelphia and I just found out that the city will do it for free also. Now it's just a question of how long it will take for them to get here (especially during the holiday season).

Thanks

In Chicago the city does it for free or go to a professional paint store or maybe HD for the right product, a power washer is likely best with the right product

Reply to
Ray

"Ray" wrote

And then how quick the little bastards come back and mark it up again.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

theres a graffiti remover believe its called goof off.

place a couple visible cameras, dont have to be active.

with signs this are being watched by security cameras.

may discourage futher troubles

Reply to
hallerb

Instead of waiting for the city, my brother in law is going to lend me his power washer. Do I just use straight water or is there something I can put on the wall first? Or do I add it to the washer?

Reply to
Ray

use graffiti remover first, then gentle clean up with pressure washer or hose.

pressure washers when used aggresively can do serious damage to surfaces, at minimum making them look different from the uncleaned areas......

goof off is what schools use to remove graffiti

Reply to
hallerb

That is tough. Because you don't want a big spot that's lighter than the rest because of what you put on there. They make some stuff called Goof Off, and other products. It might be worth it to dilute some Goof Off, spray it on with a hand sprayer, let it soak overnight, then do it the next day. Of course, it IS January almost, and unless you are living in the southern hemisphere, it might not work. Maybe something as simple as ammonia? Let us know so we know what or what not to do.

As per power washing, I'd put some hot water on it, let it sit for about half an hour, then give it your best shot. Most power washers have a bottle you can put soaps in and they go into the water stream. You're just going to have to try different things.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

"SteveB" wrote on 27 Dec 2007 in group alt.home.repair:

Be careful with solvents. Goof Off is xylene, methanol, and ethanol, and it doesn't know where the grafitti stops and the keeper paint starts. I've used it to remove *dried* paint drips from carpeting. Sometimes it removes the color from the carpet. It *always* leaves a cleaner spot than the surrounding area.

Ask the grafitti abatement department of your city for advice, or go to a real paint store. The manager at my nearest Sherwin Williams shop really knows her stuff.

Reply to
Steve

I used Goof Off and I think it came off pretty well. The affected area was kind of self-contained, so I just scrubbed that whole section of wall rather than just the markings. That way there was no outline and it doesn't look all that different from the rest of the front of the house.

And now that I've seen the wall a little closer, I think I might just be able to paint over that section if I want to make it look really good.

Thanks for all the tips and advice. I'll still be interested to see how long it will take the city to respond. Maybe I'll have them come out and powerwash anyway.

Reply to
Ray