Inglis Washer - How do I connect the motor directly to AC line?

Would someone please tell me to which 2 terminals I should connect my ac power to test the motor? This is for the Inglis direct drive top load washer, maybe 15 yrs old. The lead in terninals on the motor read from top down as follows: Black, Violet, White-Black, Blue, Yellow, White. I was told there was a burning smell coming from the washer and now when tried on all the cycles all I could hear is the water inlet valves buzzing. Nothing happens on any other position of the timer, I did try to bypass the lid swith to no success. I was wondering if anyone tried buying a motor like this on ebay? This direct drive washer is like night and day compared to the older models. Seems real cheaply made, I would guess they would have to charge about double to make them the old way. Anyhow, any help would be much appreciated, regards, Richard

Reply to
uomo88

Hi,

Have you found the washers wire diagram? You would need 4 wires ( 2 for the start winding and 2 for the run winding ) to try to run a direct drive motor, and will need to keep the start capacitor in the circuit as well.

Can you post a copy of the diagram?

These may help....

lid swith to no success.

Lid switch should only effect the spin and drain mode.

jeff. Appliance Repair Aid

Appliance Repair Aid

check for mechanical binds loke things that should turn and dont, espically look for sock stuck in pump, that happens occasionally here

Reply to
hallerb

Here's the dia, on the old mtrs you could connect with your power line to 2 terminals on the motor an it would smoke or take off. Will that not work now? How do I get 4 wires from my plug in the wall with cord that has 2 ends? Much appreciated!

\\inglis%5Fmtr%5Fdia%2Ejpg

Reply to
uomo88
****That link won't work unless you copy-paste the whole thing. Here's a tiny one.
uomo88

Neither link worked for me. Just a login page.

Older belt driven motors where a one direction motor. Newer DD washer motors are a forward/reversing motor.

I cord plug with 2 wires off of each end of the test cord =)-------------/= \\=

jeff. Appliance Repair Aid

Appliance Repair Aid

hi again, I've visited your page below, on it under A it says start winding, if I connect the 2 wires coming from my wall outlet, one to each terminal of the start winding, will the motor try to work or will she blow a fuse? I guess people don't like tiny url's, I had tested it before and it worked for me, now it doesn't. Here is the full url of the washer diagram, this is the standard Inglis

2 speed. much appreciated!!

uomo88

hi again, I've visited your page below, on it under A it says start winding, if I connect the 2 wires coming from my wall outlet, one to each terminal of the start winding, will the motor try to work or will she blow a fuse? I guess people don't like tiny url's, I had tested it before and it worked for me, now it doesn't. Here is the full url of the washer diagram, this is the standard Inglis

2 speed. much appreciated!!

uomo88

This should help.....

Red is line and yellow is neutral.

jeff.

Reply to
Appliance Repair Aid

jeff,

thanks, I'll give that a try..........but how does it help to post a smaller harder to see verision of (what was) my photo?

much appreciated, Richard

Reply to
uomo88

G'day,

It is only slightly smaller and very easy to read....original was too big and I had to scroll back and forth on the pic.

I'll remove it.

jeff. Appliance Repair Aid

Appliance Repair Aid

Hi, I would have liked to see my photo put to good use, to me making it smaller makes it harder to follow the wires, that's all. Are you using the latest Internet Explorer? On my 19" monitor you don't have to scroll. By the way, yellow may be neutral but there isn't any red going to the motor, (minor detail),

Black, Violet, White/Black, Blue, Yellow, White I wonder which 2 of these it is safe to connect line and neutral to???????????

Reply to
uomo88

somehow ? On my 19" monitor you don't

CORRECTION: Those colors up above are the ones on the wiring harness from the timer. I just had a second look at the motor itself and I do see a red and yellow, I'm looking forward to giving it a go. Thanks! The image is 855 x 692 what size is your screen that you have to scroll? 15"?

Reply to
uomo88