Inexpensive replacement for these garage flourescent lights?

Tue, 01 Nov 2016 02:38:43 GMT in alt.home.repair, wrote:

AFAIK, the offset phase doesn't offer protection from surging power/lightning strikes and/or component failures with the power company that causes incoming current to exceed what your appliance is rated for, no.
--
Make yourself sheep and the wolves will eat you.
Benjamin Franklin
On Sun, 30 Oct 2016 18:18:18 -0400, Dan Espen wrote:

I wouldn't bank on that, but if it's true, that's as it should be.
But not every guarantee is as it should be.
Light Bulb Maker Takes $21M Hit In FTC False Ad Suit http://www.law360.com/articles/473684/light-bulb-maker-takes-21m-hit-in-ftc-false-ad-suit
“In advertising and marketing its LED Lamps with false and unsubstantiated claims, LOA misrepresented the light output and *lifetime* of its LED Lamps,” the judge held. “Those misrepresentations are claims consumers rely upon in selecting lighting products. Because LOA’s LED Lamps did not perform as advertised, consumers were harmed because what they purchased was something different than advertised.”
On 10/29/2016 2:50 PM, Bill Moinihan wrote:

Inexpensive it porcelain fixture incandescent bulbs. Best is LED lighting but a typical 4' fixture is $40 and up. Should last many years though

Maybe not inexpensive, but Home Depot sells some 2 LED shop lights for about $ 40. I put some in the basement a year or two ago to solve the same problem.
I have not lookid into it,but have heard that you can get some LED tubes to replace the flourescent ones. I want to say the ballast has to come out,but not sure. You may be able to get by with just 2 tubes in each ficture as the LEDs seem to be brighter.
Maybe less expensive,but don't think I would want to do it is to put in a bunch of the regular light bulb sockets and put the LED bulbs in them.
On 10/29/16 11:50 AM, Bill Moinihan wrote:

costco
4’ Linkable LED Shop Light with Pull Chain, 2-pack
Item #1057373 Your Price59.99$ Shipping & Handling Included*
Features: Feit Electric 42W 4000K Soft White 3700 Lumens 50,000 Hours 2-pack

That is actually a 2'x4' lay-in fluorescent fixture. There are LED retrofit kits available. I would get a retro kit that does not use the existing ballast. As far as quick, cheap, and simple, you will have to make your own determination.
John Grabowski http://www.MrElectrician.TV

Everyone is touting LEDs but IME they are not ready for prime time.
About a year ago, I bought three circular LEDs for our bathrooms. Within 4 months, 2 of the 3 were flickering so badly they were unuseable. They were replaced with incandescent using fixtures, bye-bye flicker. Now the third is flickering and it too will be replaced.
The flourescent bulbs in my garage have been there 20 years, same for 6 out of 10 in my shop. If it were me, I would replace the four bulb with diffuser units you now have with two bulb strip T-8 units, (sans diffuser, the diffuser eats up about 1/2 of the light emitted). Those units are about $25 at a borg.
On 10/29/2016 5:30 PM, dadiOH wrote:

Perhaps the circular bulbs are not ready, but the regular screw in have been for a long time. So far I have about a dozen of them, the oldest about 3 years. They are getting cheaper too.
On Saturday, October 29, 2016 at 5:29:27 PM UTC-4, dadiOH wrote:

sams club sells 2 brite fluroscent equivalents for 34 bucks.
i am going to replace nearl all my fluroscent shop lights.....
the fixtures are over 30 years old, new lamps dont last...
the LEDs look awesome. save your receipt, and return if they dont work well
bob haller wrote:

I just replaced my shoplight that sits over my work bench with a 4 foot LED from Home Depot. About $39. Very happy with the result even if the price is high.
On 10/29/2016 5:30 PM, dadiOH wrote:

Just as with any other product, there are many variables to consider and in the case of LEDs, manufacture is key. There are cheap LEDs and there are quality LEDs. You may have purchased cheap China brand LEDs with cheap drivers.
IMO, thus far, I think Cree products are top notch and one can't go wrong when purchasing one of them.
Hi Bill,

There's an old saying... You get what you pay for. If you want lighting that is going to perform well and last, you will need to spend a little more.
Decent fluorescent fixtures with T8 Bulbs and electronic ballast will cost about $50 each (not including bulbs). But they come on instantly (even in cold weather), don't have any flicker, and don't make any noise. One example are these fixtures at Home Depot:
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Lithonia-Lighting-Wrap-Multi-Volt-2-Light-White- Ballast-Ceiling-Flushmount-LB-2-32-MVOLT-MVIS/202591813
Earlier this year I upgraded the lights in my garage/shop using the fixtures above. I have a web page and video showing the steps and methods I used:
http://www.watsondiy.com/20160201-shoplights.htm
I had hoped to use LED lights, but LED shop lights cost twice as much and put out less light (fewer lumens). Since I only use my garage lights occasionally, the lower power usage wouldn't really make much difference in the long run. So I stayed with the fluorescent fixtures.
My original T8 lights were almost 15 years old, but were still working great. So I was able to keep those and just add more fixtures to keep costs down.
HerHusband wrote:

This is my dilemma, exactly.
I love all the ideas, which all end up though, at: a. Keep the old system (cheapest in the short term) b. Switch to LEDs (expensive in the short term)
Long term, I don't think anyone argues LEDs aren't better. I'm in a cash crunch though, with lights going out, one by one.
On Sunday, October 30, 2016 at 12:30:15 PM UTC-5, Bill Moinihan wrote:

I think you answered your question of what to do.
On Sun, 30 Oct 2016 17:30:12 -0000 (UTC), Bill Moinihan

Just replace them one at a time with LED fixtures. Replace the worst one first!!! Eventually they will pay for themselves in saving on the electric bill and not having to buy more bulbs.
It's just like my yard light, (farm light on a pole). I had a 175W mercury vapor bulb. Every 1 ro 2 years, I spent $15 for a bulb, often had to replace the sensor too (another $12). Last year the ballast apparently died, (New bulb and sensor did not fix it). I spent the $120 to buy a LED fixture. It paid for itself in several months. My electric bill dropped from $15 to $25 a month (depending on length of daylight). Better yet, it's brighter, and dont flicker like those MV lights tend to do. I figure that I've paid for the fixture and saved another $50 to $70 on my electric bill by now.
snipped-for-privacy@unlisted.moo wrote:

I think I'm stuck with replacing the noisy bulbs. But I don't think my electric bill is the real problem because the lights aren't on all that long. Just when I'm working in the garage (or when the kids leave them on all night).
Bill,

The noise and flicker are probably caused by a failing ballast.
If the fixtures are in good condition (no metal rust and the plastic cover still in good shape), you could simply replace the bulbs and install new electronic ballasts. If your existing fixtures use the old T12 bulbs, you might see if you could convert them to T8 bulbs. You can probably find everything you need at the local home center, or shop online.
HerHusband wrote:

Thanks for that advice.
I took off that center plate and found two old (made in usa!) ballasts, one of which was buzzing badly, the other of which I'm not totally sure if it's working because I could only get 1 lane to light up consistently.
I'll test the second ballast more thoroughly today as I couldn't figure out which two lanes went to each ballast, so I was getting confused as I put bulbs in and out.
If it turns out just one ballast is bad, can I just cut it out of the equation? I would think all I have to do is cut the black and white power to the bad ballast, and then cap it off with a wire nut.
Then I could either use the fixture with just two bulbs on the good ballast, or, I could pick up one of those T8 "electronic" ballasts, and run the T8 LED bulbs in them.
Does the fixture work fine with one ballast power line cut?
snipped-for-privacy@unlisted.moo wrote:

I bought these yesterday, from Costco, on sale.
https://s21.postimg.org/qei7hifs7/1_led_tubes_at_costco.jpg
The price was $7 per tube:
https://s21.postimg.org/8pqgpw413/2_led_tubes_at_costco.jpg
All is done, except for the last most problematic lamp, which has a buzzing ballast out of the two ballasts (and the other one is only lighting one lane).
So, now, my only decision is to repair or replace the one bad fixture.
https://s13.postimg.org/kekhhvot3/04_two_T40_ballasts.jpg

According to your package photo, the light output of your bulb is 1700 lumens.
A standard T8 fluorescent bulb provides about 2800 lumens.
So, you may notice a bit less light from your fixture after installing the LED replacements.

LED bulbs usually don't need a ballast at all. You might read through the bulb instructions to see if you can do away with the ballast.