IF green means acetylene, why is Bernzomatic selling propane in dark green?

IF green means acetylene, why is Bernzomatic selling propane in dark green?

Reply to
mm

Green does not mean acetylene. From my supplier, it is orange and oxygen, nitrogen, argon are all green as are some others.

I could not find a definitive color for industrial gas chart, but did find this from Air Products

. Virtually all steel cylinder bodies are painted uniformly dark blue and covered with a protective plastic diamond mesh. . A cylinder neck ring is permanently fixed below the base of the valve. Each cylinder neck ring is color-coded to help identify cylinder contents and gas category (e.g., yellow for corrosive, red for flammables). . A color-coded shoulder label indicates the product's shipping name and identification number. On pure products, a grade label is also applied to the cylinder shoulder. The color-coded label border correlates with neck ring color for product identification. The shoulder label also specifies gas grade information. . Some cylinders are painted with a vertical stencil identifying cylinder contents

Medical cylinders will be color coded

Table 1 - Standard names and identifying container colors for medical gases

Standard Name

Standard Color

Medical Air

Yellow

Medical Carbon Dioxide

Gray

Medical Helium

Brown

Medical Nitrogen

Black

Medical Nitrous Oxide

Blue

Medical Oxygen

Green

Mixture or blend of medical gases

Standard colors for each component

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Outside of medical, there is no standard color code for gas cylinders. Different companies use different colors and even the same company uses different colors. I've had Argon cylinders in teal, maroon, brown and black all the same size and all from the same company.

Reply to
Pete C.

They deal with safety by the connection into the valves. There are well over a dozen CGA standards for the connection to cylinders, each for a classes of gasses. It is pretty hard to connect up the wrong bottle.

Reply to
gfretwell

Oops. I don't know where I got that idea. Thanks for your chart.

Wow.

Good.

Reply to
mm

Green DOES NOT mean acetylene.

Reply to
Larry W

My bottle of acetylene is black, Oxygen is green.

Jimmie

Reply to
JIMMIE

I think my oxygen is red. Oh well. Thank goodness my parents sent me some place where they taught me to read. I guess it will finally come in handy with these gases.

Reply to
mm

OTOH< look at your post just before his, that reminds me about the Muppet investment in bottled gas.

Knowing I'm wrong is useful.

Reply to
mm