Identifying the type of plating

Hello all,

I have a 1950 O'Keefe and Merritt range. I need to re-plate a few parts.

I would like to identify first what the original plating material is. (I am thinking it is either chrome or nickel.)

How can I identify what it is with certainty?

Thanks,

Deguza

Reply to
Deguza

My uncle and my cousin owned a scrap yard and they could tell what metal something was by putting it on a grinding wheel and looking at the sparks. I presume this would work with plating too, although if you can't grind on the plating alone it would be more complicated.

But regardless, you're not going to learn how to do this in the time you're willing to spend. Take it to soemone who does plating and ask him. He'll know. Probably won't have to grind either.

Although I'll admit I had trouble one time with what should have been an easy job. But it wasn't determining the metal. It was brass plated on pot metal and I wanted it replated. Looked great for a while, then gradually turned black. I took it back; he redid it and sprayed it with polyurethane or laquer or something. He didn's say what he'd done wrong the first time.

You could also try a scrap yard. I don't know what they know now. My cousin is 82. He was still going to work last I checked, and his son-in-law and grandson also work there.

Reply to
micky

Would doing a search for parts or maybe the original sales propaganda do any good? Maybe the manufacturers bragged about metal coated with...........................

Reply to
Dean Hoffman

Probably both.

The nickle layer is the shiny part. The chrome is for corrosion resistance and is in the neighborhood of .0002 to .0100 mm. In other words, it's transparent.

Hard chrome plating is thicker and is used to increase surface hardness and reduce friction. It still isn't very think and a hard chrome plated part isn't necessarily shiny. Something like a hydraulic cylinder rod is highly polished before it's plated and that's what you see.

Reply to
rbowman

How are you going to re-plate? Seems you'd have to take it to a company that does that and they can identify it. I tried that once for a part for my boat. It was so expensive it was not worth it, you may run into that.

Reply to
trader_4