I guess this more of a question for burglars than home owners

Good question. A conversation with my elderly aunt prompted the question. She told me that she took a bath and had trouble getting out. I first suggested a seat for the bath and also suggested she take the phone in the bath with her. That is when she said that the phone wouldn't do her any good that the doors were locked.

She has a granddaughter living with her so she doesn't live alone, but she was by herself when she couldn't get out of the bath.

I leave a key hidden outside. I have taken my car to the shop and left the house key on the key ring more than once. Hint. The key is not under the door mat.

Reply to
Seymore4Head

Did you put an X or something on it to make it distinctive?

Reply to
Dean Hoffman

I walk in a nearby park and see women leaving their purses in the car all the time. Reticent to say anything to them but I've seen several cars broken into in the park. Figure someone is watching in another parked car. Takes a half hour to walk park perimeter which makes theft easy.

One New Year's day, I got back to the car at the same time guy I knew got back to his car. He cursed. They had broken a hole in his plastic car door to open the car and stole the bag with his cell phone in it.

Also happened to a friends wife in Washington, DC. They parked, she put her purse in the trunk and it was gone when they got back.

Reply to
Frank

Do you not think the serial # of the bill would be enough?

Reply to
Mr. Emann

Did they get the guy who illegally printed counterfeit US currency, in violation of federal law?

. .

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

The poster is admitting in public (on an open forum) that he prints counterfeit money.

Lean into the microphone, and tell us how much illegal money you printed, please?

. .

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

To get inside when you haven't got the key for one reason or another. Obviously.

I had to break into my brother's house to feed his cats. He'd gone on a business trip and had given me the wrong keys. He had no spare keys hidden anywhere, none with the neighors, so he okayed my breaking a window to get in. I managed to pry open a basement window and sent our skinny sister through (I didn't fit). She ran upstairs and let me in. While she was back down in the basement I emerged from my brother's bedroom to find a cop in the living room with his hand on his gun. Oops. And me with no ID. Oops again.

I explained the situation, admitted to no ID on me, and gave him my name and address. whereupon he asked me to identify my neighbor across the street from my house. I babbled their names, their kid's name, and the name of their dog for good measure. He relaxed, said, "I believe you - I'm their nephew" and departed.

Reply to
Moe DeLoughan

I've got one basically hidden in plain sight in my yard, in that the object within which the key resides is in view. But everyone overlooks it, because it is one of those utilitarian things that doesn't command much attention. Plus, it is not near the house, much less the door. If you need the key, you have to take a short walk through the yard - but even in the deepest snow, you can access it. Amusing thing is, no matter how many times I've told family where it the key is stashed, nobody remembers to look there, because after awhile you just stop noticing inconspicuous utilitarian objects. You see it, but it doesn't register. Just like when you live near a church and you soon stop hearing the church bells.

Reply to
Moe DeLoughan

There are $2 U.S. bills. The one I have has a portrait of Thomas Jefferson. I think the idea was to get rid of the dollar bill. Remember the Susan B. Anthony dollar coins?

Reply to
Dean Hoffman

On 9/9/2015 7:58 PM, Dean Hoffman snorted:

I think the Susan B was supposed to last longer than the paper bills. Save the treasury a lot of bother printing the weaker dollar bills that don't last as long.

Someone used to print political lampoon $3 bills, and I had a lot of fun giving them out.

They may still be available.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

An acre and a half was free range to him. I'm a good neighbor and some people don't like dogs, some people are uneasy around big dogs (and tipping the scales at better than 115 lbs - he qualified), and my dog(s) belong on MY property, not yours.

In both instances - yes, it really happened - the meter reader and the mail lady were both in areas inaccessible to the dog. They saw him and he saw them. Instant fear on their part, got him into his guard mode.

Rottie's are herders and have to be trained to be attack dogs. They will willing let you into the house but lordy, just try and leave. Ain't gonna happen unless their owner agrees or they are socialized with the "offender."

Roman legions bred them to herd cattle in their conquests to feed the troops. Once they took prisoners, the dogs became their keepers.

Anyhow, my eighty year old neighbor lady heard, on both occasions, the commotion - mainly from the captives, came over and called Rommel to her side and allowed the prisoners to leave.

Reply to
Unquestionably Confused

Sure it would be but think about it...

On any given day, how many $2 bills pass through the register at just about ANY store.

Cops doing a canvass can just ask "Taken and $2 bills today?" The only place they have to look is until the till with the big and "odd" (read $2 bills) since there is not a space for them in the cash drawer.

Smooth move! An alternative would be to hit a $1 or $5 bill with a splash of fluorescent orange marking paint. Just something to make that bill stand out.

Reply to
Unquestionably Confused

The serial number was pretty distinctive. It was easy to read on a

8.5xq11 picture.

They had taken exactly one $2 bill in the proceeding week.

If this was a thief from far away, it might not have showed up there but all of this was walking distance from his home.

Reply to
gfretwell

I doubt you can call a black and white picture about twice the normal size a counterfeit.

Reply to
gfretwell

I know a guy who keeps a spare key in the shed, on top of one of the trusses. He figures nobody can see it and it takes a bit of work to reach it if you are not a basketball player. (8' 3.5" above FF)

Reply to
gfretwell

I used to keep a spare key under the bee hive.

Reply to
taxed and spent

Mark Lloyd wrote in news:1EZHx.4413$ snipped-for-privacy@fx21.iad:

When we lived in the country, we let our dog -- a large Australian Shepherd not friendly with strangers -- run loose when we were away. The spare key was on his collar...

Reply to
Doug Miller

On 9/9/2015 7:58 PM, Dean Hoffman snorted:

I think the Susan B was supposed to last longer than the paper bills. Save the treasury a lot of bother printing the weaker dollar bills that don't last as long.

Someone used to print political lampoon $3 bills, and I had a lot of fun giving them out.

They may still be available.

Reply to
tony944

They just confused people if I remember correctly. The edge had an odd shape plus the coin was a slightly different color than a quarter. Neither made it distinguishable enough for busy people.

Reply to
Dean Hoffman