Humidifier Placement vs. electrical outlet---

My basement has very few outlets... and all are tucked away.

I want to place a demidifier, should I put it in the best place for air circulation, and use an appliance-heavy duty extension cord-- or am I better off placing near outlet, giving up a bit of circulation.. so I don't have to do use extension cord, which I worry about with such a high draw unit.

Reply to
Jack

Either way will work fine. If you really do use a heavy-duty extension cord, and protect it from damage, it will be fine. On the other hand, even if you stick the dehumidifier in the corner, it will do pretty much the same thing. You're NOT going to end up with one dry corner and a wet rest-of-basement..

--Goedjn

Reply to
Goedjn

Greetings Jack,

Any cheap extension cord rated for the number of watts of your dehumidifier (continuous) will do so long as you don't damage the cord. However, installing a new outlet might be on par with the cost of a heavy duty extension cord and it is a job you can tackle yourself in

1/2 hour after you have the parts together so you might consider it.

Materials List ============================ $0.50 15A duplex recepticle (use wirethrough from GFCI already in basement) $1.75 Metal device box to put it in $1.50 Faceplate $0.20 Plastic cable clamp $0.10 Grounding Screw $0.13/ft 12-2 Wire from existing GFCI $0.40 2ft EMT $0.60 EMT Romex cable clamp $0.30 Single EMT Conduit Offset Clamp $0.40 Anchors and screws (x2) ================= $5.75 Total + Wire@0.13/ft

Reply to
William.Deans

I had mine in a corner behind the furnace and it cycled to often. I moved it to a more cenrtral area it works more evenly now

Reply to
m Ransley

The real trick is not where the outlet is located it is where the DRAIN is located. Depending on the humidity you could be empting the unit 2-3 times a day. My parents had one they cut a hole in the tank and screwed a garden hose to it. The garden hose was about 5 feet long and emptied into the floor drain.

Dehumidifiers are compressors, I would not use one on an extension cord.

Reply to
SQLit

Perhaps put the unit near the outlet. And place a fan on the floor to circulate air.

I remember reading that the best place for a dehum is about three feet from the ceiling. Cause that's where the moisture is. I don't know if this is true.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Actually, that has got me thinking... I am going to mount it from the ceiling joists, right above the wash sink. It is right by the outlet... and will free up tight floorspace.

The dehumidifier (65/hour, $180 at Walmart) It is kind of heavy, but nothing a little over-engineering and a bunch of 2by6's & lag bolts can't handle.

Reply to
Jack

I have six data loggers that measure and record both humidity and temperature. I often use several in the same room, house or crawlspace. While it is true that if you dry one part of a room, it will dry other parts, it will NOT be even if the air flow is restricted. Having measured and recorded such situations many times, I feel that the air circulation is most important. Also if you mount it near the ceiling, make sure it is not a top discharge type. Anything that increases air recirculation from the dehumidifier discharge back to the dehumidifier inlet will reduce capacity and efficiency. Remember, it is an AIR dehumidifier, not a WOOD dehumidifier. "AIR conditioning begins with AIR."

Stretch

Reply to
Stretch

Thanks, It is a top discharge unit, after setting it up (on the floor) I noticed that. I was just wondering if mounting it high would be a problem, you answered the question before I asked it. I will put it on floor. It has a digital humidistat... what is the best setting for a basement in summer?

Reply to
Jack

Jack,

50% to 60% should eliminate any chance for mold to grow. Monitor the humidity away from the dehumidifier though. The digital dehumidistat will measure the humidity at the dehumidifier, and I have found the built in ones are not always accurate.

Check these links also.

Crawlspace problems

We're in the mold business, like it or not
Humidity Control

Stretch

Reply to
Stretch

Hi Jack, hope you are having a nice day

On 19-Jun-05 At About 23:28:32, Jack wrote to All Subject: Humidifier Placement vs. electrical outlet---

J> From: "Jack"

J> My basement has very few outlets... and all are tucked away.

J> I want to place a demidifier, should I put it in the best place for J> air circulation, and use an appliance-heavy duty extension cord-- or J> am I better off placing near outlet, giving up a bit of J> circulation.. so I don't have to do use extension cord, which I worry J> about with such a high draw unit.

Humidity travels evenly throughout so it really doesn't matter where it is in the basement as long as it is an open area.

-=> HvacTech2

Reply to
HvacTech2