How would you handle this situation?

I come late into this thread andf haven't read all the responses. My suggestion is that, before anyone lets a contrator do major work on the property, it may be a good idea to take as many digital photos as possible of the original condition on the property. Use the current newspaper with headlines as part of the image to establish the date in the photos. Perhaps do a video record too. This will solve a lot of "I said you said" disputes.

Reply to
PaPaPeng

Here in California, insurance companies not only raise rates, but also cancel policies based on "a claim or two." Worse, many insurance companies (e.g., GEICO) will no longer write new homeowners policies here. Worst of all, the few companies that still do so will not write a new policy if you have had a claim paid by any other company within the last five years (e.g., Allstate).

If OP has any doubts, I would strongly recommend he check with his state insurance commissioner's office or private attorney with expertise in insurance matters.

Paul in San Francisco

Reply to
Paul MR

no ding if the contractor's insurance pays for all the repairs. it's no fault to the home owner. he shouldn't even have to pay a deductible.

Reply to
longshot

it's not hard to edit photos these days. I could add today's paper to a 20 year old photo & make it look authentic & I am no photographer.

Reply to
longshot

I, for one, am not aware of any usual mindless "women are home wreckers" joking that goes on here.

I don't see that you've added anything to the thread except to harass an otherwise decent and often helpful guy.

Please go away until you learn to play nicely with others.

Ken

Reply to
bambam

My thoughts exactly. I'll turn this right around on him.

Again, those are my lines of reasoning. I'll take the cash. I can easily fix all the faults myself.

Reply to
betruger

Although that would be fun (and I have much better ideas than that) it wouldn't look good in court. My goal is to make him look like the bad guy while I look like the good guy.

Reply to
betruger

Good idea. I will.

Reply to
betruger

Paul MR wrote: ...

Excellent advive.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

If possible you should also file a complaint with the BBB. The BBB may also be able to mediate this situation for you. In future you might consider joining Angie's List if they have a chapter in your area:

and hopefully you'll be able to find a service provider that won't try to cheat you again. I only use service providers who have a good rating with Angie's List and the BBB. Good Luck, me

Reply to
me

like when a cute young thing without a dime in her pocket, puts on something sexy & heads out for night on the town. start the free drinks coming.

obviously one could look at this million ways.

Reply to
longshot

"betruger"wrote

How about a follow up on how this turned out? Let me guess, his insurance company told you they will not pay simply because the owner of the policy has not contacted them. It is not permissible for an insurance company to pay out money to someone without notification from the policy holder. Bottom line, they will tell you tough luck until the policy holder contacts them.

Reply to
johnny

But if he gets a summons to small claims court, he'll probably contact them.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

like when a cute young thing without a dime in her pocket, puts on something sexy & heads out for night on the town. start the free drinks coming. >>

Needless to say it's never ok to assault another person, but that said, you're right --some women put themselves into dangerous situations. But I believe most are responsible and try to not invite danger. Thankfully the vast majority of men are honorable. I believe for every man who'd take advantage of such a situation, there are many more more who wouldn't.

Reply to
Dee

" Recording conversations will not get you in trouble as most states require One party be agreeing to the recording and that is you. If questioned as to why you recorded him, your answer to that is it is for

contract verification, changes , and protecton. "

What the law is in most states doesn't matter. What does matter is that some states do require both parties to consent and if you don't have it and record a phone converstation, it's a criminal offense. In a situation like the OP is in, he has a hostile other party and apparently is also talking to the police. If he lives in the wrong state and were to tell the police he made a recording and the contractor were to want to press charges, he could be facing criminal charges over a silly dispute.

Reply to
trader4

I sense that you need an attorney, not a news group post.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Yes he does.... and he needs one pretty fast....

Bob G

Reply to
Bob G