How to wire GE 5KH42JG34 motor for 110v

I have the dual voltage 1/2 hp motor and want to be sure it is wired to run on on 110v to use on my lathe.

Reply to
greybeard

Follow the wiring diagram on the motor or the cover plate.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

And move to somewhere that has 120V. Does anyplace in the US have 110?

Reply to
trader_4

I think the 110 V is just a refference number from the old school. Back

60 years ago my dad called things 110 and 220 volts which is now often referred to as 120 and 240. Over the years the voltages of the US grid seem to be creeping up. At my house it is now more like 125 and 250 volts on the line. I have a voltage monitor on one of the lines in a room and calibrated it with a voltmeter that I know is accurate to less than .5 % . The monitor seldom gets below 124 volts.

One of my radios made in the early 1950's manual says connect it to 117 volts. I have an electrical text book from 1943 that many of the calculations in it use 110 volts.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

60 years ago I was calling it 110... I don't remember when it became 120. I just measured 121.8 at the kitchen receptacle, but I've seen lower values depending on the distribution network.

To further confuse the issue, there's 110 VAC 50 Hz and 120 VAC 60 Hz and you'll see both on the nameplate. The current draw will vary on applied voltage and frequency but seldom enough to matter. Japan uses

100 VAC and that will cause problems.
Reply to
rbowman

NEC "210.6 - Branch circuit voltage limitations" - uses 120V nominal "220.5-A - says for calculations use 120V

430 motor tables use 115, 230, 460V

Motor nameplates are likely 115, 230, 460V (typically +/-10%)

My understanding has been 120 and 240V are system voltages, the voltage at the service.

110 and 220V were at utilization equipment like motors. Now is 115, 230V

I remember 117V. Never could figure out where it came from.

Reply to
bud--

I have an old Teletype machine model 15 that was probably built in the

1940's and the motor name plate on it is 110 V.
Reply to
Ralph Mowery
[snip]

I have occasionally heard 118V as well.