How to Touch Up Wood Casement Window?

I would like to know the best way to touch up the horizontal surface of a wooden casement window. The finish of some areas in the casement window have chipped out. I would like to touch up those areas. But I don't know what is the finish that was applied on the surface. Therefore, I don't know where to start. I would like people to help me to identify the finish that is on the surface of the wood casement window.

I am sure the finish is not paint because I can clearly see the wood grain. I have a feeling that there is a film over the wood that protected the wood, gives it a glossy/satin look, and also gives the wood a dark brown color. That film of finish is the thing that gets chipped out and exposes the light color wood under the finish. I have a feeling that the exposed wood underneat the film of finish has not been stained because its color is light.

What's the finish that was applied on the wood? How to touch up the areas that have chipped out?

Can I try something simple to restore like 75% of the original look in case I cannot determine the original finish on the wood? How's about wax? How's about tung oil?

I have read the caring-tip of the casement window in the manufacturer site (Anderson Window). But the document doesn't say what finish was put on the window.

Thanks in advance for any idea.

Jay Chan

Reply to
jaykchan

Jay, why not call Anderson? Here, you may get guesses, some of them good ones. You should get better guesses from the manufacturer.

Reply to
Doug Kanter

manufacturer

Tha's because most windows from Andersen (unless they are the Renewal line) are supplied with unfinished pine jambs-the end user takes care of that.

Reply to
Rick

manufacturer

Unless you are referring to the cladding they put on the sills and such. But to my recollection they only come in white and sandalwood. Could be wrong-it's been a long time since I installed any Andersens...

Reply to
Rick

Are you thinking maybe his windows only have a thin coat of primer?

Reply to
Doug Kanter

Last Andersen casements I installed were ordered with unfinished clear pine extension jambs, ready for stain. They may have preprimed paint grade extensions too. The product guide should say what what's available.

Reply to
Rick

Oh yes, "sill" is the right term. The areas that have color chipped off are on the sill of the casement window. I am very sure that there is no paint on the wooden area of the casement window. I think I will try some color-matching wax to see if the result is acceptable or not.

Jay Chan

Reply to
jaykchan

Actually, I had already contacted Anderson Windows, and they asked me to download the caring instruction from their web site. "Naturally", the caring instruction doesn't say anything about caring the specific finish on the wooden part of the window -- just something very general. This leaves me an impression that the window might not have come with any finish when it was off from the manufacturing plant; therefore, they cannot give me anything specific. The color stain probably was put on the window after it was installed based on the fact that some "not easy to be seen" areas in the window was not stained.

Seem like I should visit Home Depot and ask people there for a recommendation.

Jay Chan

Reply to
jaykchan