How to strip UF cable?

I am working on a circuit with 12/2UF. I have cut it in half to free the ground, but the black and white still have the UF cover on. I am afraid to cut into it and going through the wire insulation also. I could just work with it as it is, but it is awfully stiff. How do I get the UF cover off without damaging the wire insulation?

Reply to
Toller

Andy replies:

I have always scored it up the middle with a box cutter, then grabbed the ground wire and pulled it horizontally to split the outer UF covering without damaging the individual hot wire coverings. Then, I would finish splitting the UF outer covering with the box cutter.

That gives me an uncovered ground, and two individual UF covered wires. Underneath the UF covering is an additional black and a white covering. I try to leave the UF on the individual wires (except for ground) as much as I can. It's more trouble, but that's why you pay more for UF....

Andy

Reply to
Andy

carefully score it and bend it. The jacket will separate. Then you can pull it off.

Reply to
gfretwell

I have only worked on indoor romex. Maybe UF is significantly different. But there is an little metal tool that sells for less than a dollar that does this for romex. Put the wire in it, sqeeze, and tug.

mm

I tried it and it is much easier than I thought. It is not necessary to actually cut through the jacket. Thanks.

Reply to
Toller

Totally different material. I have one of those tools for NMC, but find a knife to be much easier.

Reply to
Toller

UF cable will ruin one of those romex tools. Don't ask me how I know this...

Bob

Reply to
zxcvbob

If I had noticed that it was you asking, I would have assumed you knew about that tool, and wouldn't have posted.

mm

There are special strippers for UF cable, such as the "Zip-Stripper" from Seatek. It might be worth getting one if you work with UF often.

Reply to
Steve