how to set up a used dry redwood hottub

I have a used redwood hottub, they left it here in peices, I was going to set it up, but now i am thinking it might not be as simple as I thought.... anyone have any tips? I WOULD GREATLY APPRECIATE THEM!

Reply to
sarahstar1111

Start by assembling the bottom boards. Then using small nails, nail a couple 1x4's across them to hold them all together while you assemble the sides. Put a nail lightly into the outside of the first board, near the top, and lightly tap the notch in the board onto the bottom. Tie a string to the nail. Every few boards you add, put in another similar nail, and wrap the string around it sufficiently to hold the board in place while you continue adding boards. Getting the last board to fit right may require cutting it, or maybe making a new, narrow one.

I would suggest assembling it without tightening the bands too much. The wood will expand a lot after soaking. Then put some kind of "misting" nozzle into it and cover it. Keep it wet for a few days, and it should begin to seal itself. A sprinkler on a timer might also work. The problem with wood tubs is that you cannot insulate them without causing the wood to rot.

You shouldn't need sealants normally. The wood expansion really does seal things up.

The tub should be supported by 4x4's under the bottom. Do not try to support it on the side boards. Mine had 3 4x4's on pier blocks. Make sure everything is level and "in-plane" before you put the tub on it and fill it. The 4x4's should be a right angles to the floor boards.

Avoid overuse of chlorine, as it will breeak down the wood.. Eventually, it will end up with fibers of wood hanging all over. When this happens, my solution was to empty the tub, then torch it with a high powered weed-burner. Then sand lightly, and it looks like new. This is only needed after several years of regular use.

Enjoy!

Bob

Reply to
Bob F

Sarah-

You got good advice from Bob F.....the only thing I would add is try to get stainless steel nails...they will hold up much better than any other nail material if you leave them in place.

cheers Bob

Reply to
BobK207

Remove them. Don't want any nails in the final product. And they should never go very far into the wood. Don't want new holes either.

Bob

Reply to
Bob F