How to release water hammer?

Hi,

I shut off the water supply valve to my toilet to replace the flush tank valve. On reopening the water supply valve I hear a loud hammering noise. Can someone please provide me with information on how to fix it?

Thanks,

Ash

Reply to
ATN

That is pretty unusual for just turning off the water at the toilet. Open all the faucets at once and let them run for a minute or two. If that doesn't work, turn off the water at the meter and then open them all and do it again, turning them off in order, from closest to the supply to farthest.

Reply to
Bruce

2 possibilities:

Try opening the valve all the way (if you didn't). The type of stop (valve) commonly used must be fully open or the washer will "flap in the breeze" of the water flow and cause horrendous chatter.

If fully opening the stop doesn't cure it, the stop will have to be taken apart or replaced. Most likely the washer inside has come off the stem or the bibb screw has backed out. The cheapie stops which are most common today have the washer only loosely pressed on the end of the stem.

If you have to take it apart, the Main shutoff valve will need to be closed *AND* the system drained of water to prevent flooding when you take it apart.

Jim

Reply to
Speedy Jim