How to make a "mold base".

Hi,

Here is an unusual question. I would like to refinish an old heave (20lb) brass urn. As I'm working on it, I would like to take before and after (and in-process) pictures. What would be the best material to build a mold that I can set this piece on so I can place the piece in a consistent place? I'm thinking plaster or compound or something like that, and I need something that's soft at first but the solidifies, but wouldn't stick to brass while wet and is stron enough to initially support a 20lb piece with a tiny total base (4 little claw feet).

Thanks!

Aaron

Reply to
Aaron Fude

Easy. Make a small tray with raised sides and pour a layer of Bondo in the tray. Cover the soft Bondo with a sheet of poly wrap, and set the four feet into the goop.

In 10 minutes the Bondo will set and you can set the urn back into position any time you wish.

Reply to
Roger Shoaf

A heave urn...? Is that like a spittoon for someone about to hurl? ;)

RicodJour

Not understanding the problem. If you just need to place it for photos (prefocused camera on a tripod?), some little 'L' marks of tape, or even pencil marks, on the table or work surface, will do the trick. Used in studio work all the time, even for human subjects. It is where the phrase 'hitting your marks' comes from. (Johnny Carson had a star decal on the stage for his monologue. No pans or zooms needed, just walk out and start talking.)

-- aem sends...

Reply to
aemeijers