How to glue rubber to steel

Thanks for the update. I'm glad it worked out.
I did a Google search for "Amazing Goop" and it looks like there are several different types of glue under the same general brand name. Did you find one type of Amazing Goop in particular that seemed like it would work well? -- such as one that is white in color, remains somewhat flexible when dry, etc?

Yes, there were several types in the hardware store. I got the one that looked like the best choice, although I can't recall what the differences were.
The one I got is labelled "Household". It's in a purple tube almost, but not exactly, like this:
http://www.eclecticproducts.com/household.htm
The glue is clear. It looks and smells a lot like the airplane glue we used to use to make model airplanes.
So far, it's working well.

I used to superglue my motor mounts in my 64 1/2 mustang, until I replaced he mount.
Greg
Jennifer Murphy wrote:

Thanks for following up and posting that.
I did a Google search and found this link shat shows the directions, product details, etc. for that particular product:
http://www.directionsforme.org/index.php/directions/product/HARDWARE/00076818030010 .
And, under Product Details it says,
"Amazing Goop Household dries to a waterproof, rubber-like consistency that's flexible, so it won't break or crack under stress an dishwasher/dryer safe. Won't become brittle like super glues!"
So, it looks like you made a good pick for the type of project you had.

http://www.directionsforme.org/index.php/directions/product/HARDWARE/00076818030010 .
I love goop. It sticks and it's tough at the same time. Use marine goop for uv protection.
Greg
5 minute epoxy will work but the plastic is likely to become brittle over time anyways, as mentioned by another poster. Silicone would also work just as well.
Jumlers.com Catering Michael Lalonde Sudbury, Ontario
On Sunday, September 2, 2012 10:08:05 PM UTC-4, Jennifer Murphy wrote:

My brother and his wife are into the 50's look for their kitchen and have the tables and chairs with that type of rubber feet. I think he got his at the BIG STORE. Cant imagine why you wouldn't want to replace them.