Tile repair

I had a porcelain tile crack in the kitchen. In the process of removing the tile, another popped.

Now I have 2 tiles I need to put back. The back of the tiles are both free of any mortar.

My question is regarding putting the 2 tiles back in. I have the new premixed mortar I purchased. Do I need to scrape any more old mortar off the subfloor? This is what it currently looks like:

Is there anything else I can do to ensure the tile doesn't pop up?

Reply to
cegarbage

The base needs to be flat enough so the tiles you are setting wind up at the same height as their neighbors.

Make sure the mastic covers all the tile and that when it squeezes into the indentations of the tile that sufficient remains to completely cover what you are sticking it too. Grout after several days and don't walk on it while you wait.

Reply to
dadiOH

If the premixed mortar is something like this:

you may want to consider taking it back (if you haven't opened it yet) and getting regular thin set mix and mix it yourself. The reason is that, according to the reviews that I see here, there can be issues with the stuff taking forever to set up and dry.

Since you scraped the old mortar almost down to the wood, I think that will be good enough. But, I also think there are bonding agents that can be painted onto the subfloor first to help with adhesion. I forget what they are called, but whatever they have for that will be in the tile section where you bought the premixed mortar.

Personally, if I had what you have and didn't open it yet, I'd return it and just do the job with regular (mix-it-yourself) thin set. Or, if I did already open the container, I would just use it and do the job as-is and expect it to take a few days to dry. In either case, I don't think I would worry about the small amount of old mortar that is still left on the wood subfloor.

Good luck.

Reply to
TomR

tile, another popped.

Not good. Those probably aren't the only tiles that will pop.

mortar I purchased. Do I need to scrape any more old mortar off the subfloor?

No, that looks pretty good. Just make sure you vacuum any loose material up.

I don't like the idea of premixed mortar (it isn't). If it were really mortar I'd moisten the tile and the floor before spreading it. The premixed stuff is probably a vinyl mastic so I'd just follow the directions on the packaging. You might look the stuff up online and get further information.

Reply to
krw

he tile, another popped.

e of any mortar.

ixed mortar I purchased. Do I need to scrape any more old mortar off the su= bfloor?

Well yes, unless you want the 2 tiles to stick up highr than the rest of the floor DUH!

Reply to
hrhofmann

Good point. I always put 1/2" backer down with a jillion screws and mortar before the tile but it's a little late for that here. ;-)

Reply to
krw

tile, another popped.

any mortar.

mortar I purchased. Do I need to scrape any more old mortar off the subfloor?

The floor looked pretty clean to me.

Reply to
krw

I think Bob misread that sentence as: