How to get an oval shaped copper pipe round again to install compression fitting

How often do

I had a main valve fail once during a major plumbing job, it allowed the basement to flood.

given my unhappy experience a new quarter turn ball valve is a excellent idea.

some things are best not repaired but replaced. that valve is one on my short list:)

Reply to
hallerb

Doesn't it require a 5-sided socket, or something else most people don't have? How do you do it?

Reply to
mm

many people have those tools, they are pretty common but vary regionally. a plumber told me in the pittsburgh area there are about 5 models.

Reply to
hallerb

Thanks to all!!! Really!!! You guys are very helpful and very knowledgeable persons.

Best regards, NeilSanner

Reply to
neilsanner

"neilsanner" ...

So what did you end up doing?

Reply to
Tomes

Yes, the clamp part of a flare tool can be useful.

For out of round fittings, stick brazing often can fill some larger gaps.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

replying to Robert Allison, Reggie wrote: Robert, you are a life saver. I had all soldered joints behind a tub wall with only 7" access width. The copper coming up from the lower level had a 20 degree bend so I cut it in the straightest looking area. The compression nut or sleeve would not go on. I saw your post and tried it and it was perfectly round again!!!! I had the whole building water off and this fitting was my shut off taps. Thank you so much for this post.

Reply to
Reggie