How to fix this drywall gouge

I don't know how to fix this. Should I sand it down, rip it out and replace the section, what would work best here. I don't want to start poking around for fear of tearing it even more - or is it one of those "you're hosed cut it out and replace."

Eigenvector

Gosh, it looks more like some failed wallpaper. Is it on the ceiling or wall? If is was me I would get after is with a scraper until all loose material is removed. Then you will be in a better position to evaluate your options.

I have dealt with what I believe is a similare problem and was able to prevent further failures by covering the repair with oil based primers and enamels. I have had far fewer failures after using oil base products. I also used a high gloss paint but it's not for everyone. It is however super durable and unlikely to fail.

Lawrence

Reply to
Lawrence

Nope, it's drywall behind there. Looks like I'll have to replace it, I think the previous owner just shoved some drywall remnant in a giant hole and painted over it big time.

Reply to
Eigenvector

It looks like the paper was torn off and restuck...

Take a scraper and lift out the loose stuff.

At best, you just need a skim coat over the exposed gypsum.

At worst you'll have a hole that should be fairly simple to patch.

Reply to
Noozer

Hard to tell the size of this gouge. Anyway, remove all the loose material. If the area is large, more than 10x10", then replace the section with a new drywall section (you may need to install wood pieces and use drywall screws for support.) Use drywall compound and several putty knives. The beginning coat will use the smallest knife, then allow to dry, sand smooth, then repeat using the next larger knife. A work light held against the wall with your head against the wall will reveal bumps. Lay down and tape paper against the baseboard to catch the dust (do not use a vacuum). Prime and paint.

Reply to
Phisherman

I'd cut out a rectangular section bigger than the patch and start over.

Reply to
JimL

Most architechts would have a one-word suggestion: ivy.

Reply to
HeyBub

I knew you were gonna say that. Nice thing is that the gouge just happens to be right next to a seam so at least I can repair it a little more invisibly.

Reply to
Eigenvector

Sanding? Screw that. Look up the drywall wet sponge method. Really.

Reply to
kevin

There's something weird going on there. What's on the other side of the wall? Is the wall an exterior or bearing wall?

RicodJour

"HeyBub" wrote in news:12f1mmdhg8gvf89 @news.supernews.com:

Or Picture or entertainment center,etc.

Reply to
Al Bundy

Could you give us a clue? Like a picture with a ruler in it, or some indication of the size?

It sure would help.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

Yeah I can do that, I just didn't have the space or items on hand to do that. There's a 400 lb filing cabinet in front of it and I just couldn't get my body in a position to take a good shot of it.

I'm painting that room, so I do need to fix the hole, otherwise that filing cabinet would stay right where it was.

I did rip off the paper to see what was behind it, as you can see in the last shot the drywall isn't even of good quality.

Reply to
Eigenvector