How To Fix/Repair Rock Salt Burned Yellow Lawn!?

Sooo....if your house has never been hit by lightening, it that fact proof that it doesn't happen to another?

Grass can be damaged by long-term or heavy snow cover. Here's a little bit about it:

Some suggestions have really been in the "overkill" range. Salt is water soluble. If the soil drains well enough to grow Kentucky Blue Grass, it very likely drains well enough to wash away salt with normal rainfall and/or a little more watering. Overdoing the watering might keep it too wet and damage it further. Depending on how long the yellowing has been going on, the grass may still be surviving. I would at least talk to the guy who did the sodding and also to the next neighbors in hopes of keeping the gentleman from having his lawn damaged more. Nice that the man has somebody looking out for him.

We have had our southern lawn under salt water for several days, with no damage at all. Storm surge, hurricane in G. of Mexico. It gets watered all the time with reclaimed water that has a little salt in it.

Reply to
norminn

snipped-for-privacy@earthlink.net wrote: ...

_Major_ difference between grass types and the concentration of salt in sea water is the primary difference there.

As you say (and I said earlier) if it's only yellow it hasn't been killed so in all likelihood it will eventually come back w/ time and dilution. It would be hard to hurt KY blue w/ excess watering unless flooded it entirely and let it stand during warm weather.

Reply to
dpb

Nothing there about "long term or heavy snow cover". A bit about snow mold-- and how it occurs mostly when it snows before the ground is frozen. Ever been to Saranac Lake? I'd be willing to bet there is no winter on record there in which the ground wasn't well frozen. [More likely that it was still frozen in July in places.]

I'm with you here, though. I use abundant amounts of salt on my sloping driveway. Never noticed any grass dying near it. Some grasses prefer salty soil.

Jim

Reply to
Jim Elbrecht

I'm over The Pond and weather conditions may differ. I'm with all those who suggest extensive irrigation. Sodium chloride is the same the world over. I've experienced salt burn of grass due to draining boats on lawns. Regular application of water allowed the grass to grow back over the season.

Reply to
Clot

Why do we keep talking about Saranac Lake? I wouldn't go anywhere that gets that much snow :o) Sodium chloride isn't necessarily the only problem. Fertilizer or dog urine can burn grass, but usually only if it is already stressed....we get thirsty if we take in too much salt without enough water. Plants do the same....give enough water and aok. The poor old man spent $4000 on his grass...it's a shame to add to the problem or make a lot of unneeded work with bad advice. As I said, the salt will most likely wash away if the soil has decent drainage. Digging up the damaged area may be a whole lot more work than is needed. I consider the people who laid the sod to be probably the best resource for info.

Reply to
norminn

BTDT. Bloody and stinging ears to prove it :/

Reply to
Oren

Where the heck is that? :)

Sodium chloride isn't necessarily the

Noted, we also used to have dogs that were too generous to the lawn that again irrigating would help to mitigate; that I think is as much to do with sodium as an excess of N.

The poor old man spent $4000 on his grass...it's a

Agreed.

As I said, the salt will most likely wash away if the soil

He might be concerned that the contractors would see $$s and the kindly neighbour might also be concerned about that.

Generous but not excessive applications of water should resolve.

Reply to
Clot

Saranac Lake is in the Adirondacks NYS. For being in the mountains the annual snow isn't that much.

Reply to
rochacha