How to estimate drywall quantity?

Getting close to the drywall stage in my basement, and wondering about quantity. Since I'm only dealing with 1 wall, should I just measure every drywall surface to come up with an exact amount?

Reply to
Larry Bud

Get more than you need, and try to keep joints to a minimum.

Reply to
Bob

Mainly, base your figures on how many 4x8 or 4x12 (minus trimmings) sections of wall you want to cover. With as little flat-butted (no pun intended- where butted edges are full thickness) joint to tape as possible, and with as much factory-tapered to factory-tapered edges as possible butted. Taping will be the big part of the drywalling.

HTH, J

Reply to
barry

In general, square feet of surface to be covered divided by 32 (if using 4x8 sheets) = number of sheets. Wouldn't hurt to add one extra sheet. Do not subtract for door/window cutouts. You should make a quick sketch of the layout as that can save you significant seamage. In a normal room (with one or more doors and some windows) you can save considerable seamage by intalling horizontal vice verticle. Butt joints are made to fall over/under doors and windows. The taping is easier that way also. May not work in a basement

Harry K.

Reply to
Harry K

Reply to
Rusht Limpalless

Both HomeDepot and Lowes has a spin wheel calculator for this purpose where you just put in the room dimensions. It also shows how much tape, mud, and nails/screws you'll need.

Rusht Limpalless wrote:

Reply to
Joey

Plug in wall length and height, check off no ceiling, and enter the windows and doors if any.

RicodJour

Do not be tempted to try to save sheetrock by piecing over the doors and windows; the tape joints will crack. It is caused by the physics of horizontal and vertical lumber moving in different directions with temperature changes.

Reply to
bud smith