How to determine laminate quality

I interviewed a handyman to install laminate floors and staircase. If he brings his own materials, how can I determine if the laminate is tough enough for the staircase ? The label on tiles indicate only their number and color, but not the manufacturer. He says it is EPI, but how can I make sure ? And there are so many types of EPI laminate anyway...

Reply to
Ikon

You need to go to a showroom, see what is available and price what a pro charges to install it. It needs to be put in correctly. A homeowner doing it carefully following instructions or a pro but doubtful that you want a handyman. Go with the snap together stuff in any case. Check out Mannington brand..... has held up well for us so far in kitchen and even a bathroom.

Reply to
Art

Ya pays yer dollar, and ya takes yer chances? Tom Work at your leisure!

Reply to
Tom

Get the reciept , get proof, call the store or company. There are cheap products out there.

Reply to
m Ransley

Thanks for all your kind replies. But is there a forum, or a website where I could see customers' reviews for various laminates ?

Also I found that IKEA sells seme decently looking laminates, but they provide very little information - for example, they do not even indicate how long it will be under warranty.

Reply to
Ikon

If you visit

and go to the groups page you can search these posts for the word laminate. Also Consumer Reports rated them a couple of years ago. Definitely go with the snap together kind. Some only snap once or twice and then have to be discarded so those have a disadvantage. Some have riduculous fine print in the warranties. After evaluating those 2 factors I went with Mannington. Pergo used to have horrible service but I believe that is no longer true. Don't be deceived by a lifetime warranty. Read the fine print.

Reply to
Art