How to connect wires?

I commend you on your persistence to learn a new skill. However, learning via a newsgroup how to do everything electrical scares the bejeesus out of me. Sure, I ask some clarifying code type questions here and there but I also worked as an electrical apprentice years ago so have an idea of at least how things work etc... Be Careful! It can't hurt to ask some friends who know this stuff to inspect your work. One question though. You mention that HD didn't have 12 ga in anything other than black. Are you indicating that you are using single strands of wire through some sort of conduit or raceway? If not, and you're just stringing the individual wires along inside the wall, you're violating code as far as I know. Wires need some form of protection be it EMT, etc... For residential the most common is NM cable (Romex) where the sheath is considered it's protection. Cheers, cc

Reply to
James "Cubby" Culbertson

James "Cubby" Culbertson spake thus:

Two things:

  1. Chill.
  2. Re-read the OP's post: he had an electrician rope the cables in the walls. He just needs to connect the wires in the box.

Sheesh.

Reply to
David Nebenzahl

Oh I'm pretty chilled alright. I'm not the guy asking how to wire nut two wires together!

Reply to
James "Cubby" Culbertson

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com spake thus:

[...]

So some of us would really like to know: how'd it go? Did you get it working? No sparks? Are you still with us?

Reply to
David Nebenzahl

I too notice many people who asked about wiring suddenly stop posting for good.

No doubt, the answers they received here must be so good there is no need to ask further questions.

Reply to
peter

I have succeeded 100% percent, I think.

I tried what was generously suggested, but I found that that approach lead to a collection of wires that could not be fit in the elctrical box.

So rather than uniting the hot wires in bundles and the grounds in bundles I ran a single got wire to each of the three switches by cutting a single piece of wire and stripping a short section in the middle to "capital-Omega" around the screw and the same for the ground wire (and grounded it, of course). I figured that lead to the same circuit withfewer wires and caps.

Does any of that sound wrong?

No sparks, everything works like charm.

Thanks for all the help and cautions.

Aaron Fude

Reply to
aaronfude

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com spake thus:

Nope; you figured out the old electrician's trick on your own. Perfectly safe and legal.

Speaking for the congregation, glad we could be of assistance.

Reply to
David Nebenzahl