HOW - test for "dirt resistance" ?

A post in a message in this group reads as such:

NEC states:

1) you pound in an electrode. 2) Test it for dirt resistance 3) if it's > 25 ohms, pound in another electrode. 4) you're done [Ie, Note: if you don't get below 25 ohms with the second electrode, you don't need to pound in a third.]

1) What are the TWO PROBES of the meter touching ? One is on the ground rod and the other is on ................?

Not an electrician but curious and never heard of this. In past, I've seen people LOP OFF about a foot or so of "ground rod" when ground was too hard or had rocks.

2) How would an inspector KNOW if the ground rod had been cut ?

3) I think a ground rod is 8ft. You mean if you cut off 1 or 2 feet that the "ground" does not "fully effective" ?

TIA

Reply to
Conase

The utility's ground.

1- because it won't go in any more. 2- it "prettys-up" the exposed end.

He wouldn't, unless he saw the cut piece or the actual cutting or got a sworn confession.

It's effective as long as there's >25 ohms.

Reply to
HA HA Budys Here