How not to neutralize bleach.

I can't find the thread about bleach, but here is more info:

Bleach should never be mixed with vinegar or other acids as this will create highly toxic chlorine gas and can cause severe burns internally and externally. Mixing bleach with ammonia similarly produces toxic chloramine gas, which can burn the lungs. Mixing bleach with hydrogen peroxide results in an exothermic chemical reaction that releases oxygen, and may cause the contents to splatter and cause skin and eye injury. Heating bleach and boiling it may produce chlorates, a strong oxidizer which may lead to a fire or explosion.

From wikip on bleach

Reply to
micky

They put a little tablet of Sodium sulfite in our E-Coli sample bottles to neutralize the chlorine that might be in the water. It will "unbleach" bleach. It our case it is a waste of money since we are sampling rivers and bays but we get the bottles that are made for all kinds of tests, including municipal water supplies.

Reply to
gfretwell