I have a tri-level house and want to insulate over the uninsulated
slab. What I planned is outlined below. Please critique and give
1. glue over current vinyl tiles 2 sheets 4 mill plastic.
2. make grid with 2x4's with 16" centers.
3. fill with fiberglass batting.
4. cover with 5/8" plywood
5. install composite flooring such as Pergo
On Mon, 30 Jun 2003 06:44:22 GMT, firstname.lastname@example.org wrote (with
FWIW, I'd do it a bit differently:
1. 4 mil plastic with adhesive below and above.
2. Put down 2" compressible styrofoam (same as used under concrete).
3. Apply 3/4" UL over foam with adhesive.
4. Your choice of flooring.
1. Less loss of height
2. Much higher R value.
I included the 4 mil plastic, but I'm not sure it's needed. The vinyl
tile and it's adhesive may effectively seal the existing floor. I
would guess if you put some plastic over the existing floor and don't
see any condensation inside of it, you may not need it.
HomeOwnersHub.com is a website for homeowners and building and maintenance pros. It is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here.
All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.