How far down can a trap be?

I am installing a new kitchen sink, and am curious if I can put the trap in the basement directly wonder the sink, or if there is some reason that it has to be in the cabinet under the sink? Is there a maximum drop allowed from the sink to the trap, and if so why? Thanks Jon

---------------------------------------------------- Anything being cooked a second time needs a hot oven.

Reply to
Jon Bergstrom

The Codes are not universal on this, but 24" is a common spec. The reasoning is that the un-trapped section may produce odors from debris on the inner surface of the pipe.

If you *do* put the trap in the basement, give consideration to how you will connect a vent to it.

Jim

Reply to
Speedy Jim

Thanks!

The vent already exists,I should have said replacing not installing from scratch, I would only be extending the "tail Pipe" or what ever its called to make more room for the inevitable junk that accumulates under the sink. The odor issue makes sense, I will probably just slat in another trap in the same place.. Jon

---------------------------------------------------- Anything being cooked a second time needs a hot oven.

Reply to
Jon Bergstrom

---------- The only limit I can think of comes from some common sense. The distance from the top of the drain (starting right under the sink) to the lowest point of the P trap must be at least 125% the distance from the lowest point of the P trap to the waste outlet. (The 125% figure is my guess).

This is so the water coming in has enough force to drive water and debris through the drain.

Reply to
Abe