How do you make BBQ burner last Longer?

Mine only last 2 year at best. What about putting a think steel or aluminium plate on top of the burner to protect from the drippings. It would be a hair smaller shape then the burner, in order not to block the flame. Any ideas? Thanks

Reply to
None

Art Todesco

Buy a charcoal grill ;-).

Reply to
Luke

Weber has em, they are called flavorizer bars.

Problem is, the flavorizer bars burn up instead of the burner. But, mine lasted 5 years, and I grill quite a bit. I'm about to buy some new bars.... havn't checked yet, but I'm pretty sure they are a lot cheaper then a new burner or grill.

Reply to
Matt

I think the better grills have burners that are heavier gauge and last longer. My Weber is about 7 yrs old now and so far the only complaint I have is the wood side shelves are deteriorating. Weber fixed that, the new ones are made of synthetic trex like material.

Reply to
trader4

Weber's burners are also made of stainless steel. Nobody else seems to do this. They guarantee them for 10 years, so you know you'll get at least that before they rot.

Reply to
Mark

True. I went out to weber.com, $55 for a new set of SS flavorizer bars. I think I'll get them instead of the ones I had, which go for $35.

Reply to
Matt

I bought a Weber last month. Carchoal. Awesome. All the rest of my grills suck in comparison. If they are public Ill probably pick up some stock because they are a quality product.

dont folks usually put the lava rocks over the flames and the drippings hit the rocks rather than the burners?

Reply to
CL (dnoyeB) Gilbert

I just got a gas one. BBQed 4 times and it is a mess. The Stainless Steal grate is easy to clean but the inside is discolored from heat, grease, and burger runoff.

Has anyone ever tried coating the bottom (under the burners) with aluminum foil each time?

Reply to
c_kubie

Hmmmm

Why bother? This reminds me lining the drip pans in the electric stove with foil, vinyl slipcovers - etc.

Also, I think there is something to be said for leaving it be.... have you noticed that food cooked in a grimy, often used grill (provided the cooking surface is clean) tastes better than food cooked in a brand new one? The grill has to be seasoned.

I like to keep stuff looking new as well, but when it comes to the iniside of a BBQ.... nah.

Reply to
Matt

MOST are stainless steel but some are rather thin and low end. Any good grill today will have a good burner of stainless steel, cast brass, cast iron, etc. But you have to be prepared to spend a few bucks, not the $99 big box store special.

Brands like Vermont Castings, Broimaster, MHP, Broil King Weber will have good long lasting burners.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Easiest way is just not to look under there.

If you do put foil, do NOT block the vent holes in the bottom or the grill will not work properly and can even become unsafe.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

I suppose you could, but WHY? There's not a grill out there (or stove, for that matter) that stay's "factory clean" inside. If you want to clean a gas Weber, just cover the grate with aluminum foil, flip the burners on "high", and let 'er run until 5 minutes or so after the smoke stops. There will be a bit of ash on the grate afterwards, but's it's easily cleaned.

Reply to
Andy Hill

Stainless

We were trying to figure how to clean our small Weber too:).

Thanks for the information!

with aloha, Thunder

. smithfarms.com Farmers of 100% Kona Coffee & other Great Stuff

Reply to
smithfarms pure kona

WEber recommends you do not cover the grates with foil. They say this will disturb the airflow and cause uneven or otherwise inferior grill operation.

I use a drip pan under the food gril, and i cover the drippan with foil rather than try to keep cleaning the drip pan. I have a charcoal grill though.

Reply to
CL (dnoyeB) Gilbert

Cooking, yes, cleaning dirty grates after the cooking, who cares?

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Note I advised this for cleaning the GAS grill, *not* for cooking. The whole point, AFAIK, is to trap most of the heat in the lower part of the grill. Instructions are right out of my Weber manual...

Reply to
Andy Hill

If you want to keep your grill factory fresh and clean, do this:

  1. Do not remove the box it was sold in, except for a few minutes when you show your friends what you got.
  2. Never EVER build a fire in the grill
  3. Never cook food on it.
  4. Store it in a dry area at room temperature.
  5. Coat it several times each year with a quality automotive wax to protect the finish.
Reply to
TPutmann

My charbroil natural gas stainless steel grill has cast brass burners which are guaranteed for life.

Reply to
Bobby_M

Guaranteed for life !!!!

I love that expression. In other words, it's guaranteed to last the life of the grill. When the grill dies, then the guarantee expires. If the grill explodes, it's dead. therefore the warrantee is expired.

OR, are they referring to YOUR life? In other words, you must have signed a form which verifies you personally as the owner, and have given them your social security number and all sorts of other personal information. That way you can not pass on the warrantee to your offspring, or the guy you sell the grill to after you get tired of it. Do they also monitor your health, or maybe they got you hooked to a heart monitor to insure that you are still living? And just think of what happens if suddenly they decide that you are living too long and they are tired of waiting for your death so they can expire the warrantee. Do they have some sort of sattelite controlled device connected to the grill that will make it explode and thus kill you in order to end the warrantee?

OR, are they referring to life as the life of their company? Just think what would happen if someday they suddenly decide to go out of business, or just merge with another company and change the company name. I guess THEIR life is over, so goodbye warrantee !!!

And, finally, consider this. You go to a store and buy one of these grills. On the way home from the store you are in a serious car accident and you die. Your family finds the grill in the trunk of your demolished car, but the trunk and grill survive. Someone in your family now has a brand new grill that has no warrantee, since it expired 10 minutes after you bought it and left the store because you were killed.

NOTICE: This message has a lifetime warrantee. I guarantee that you will remember it for the rest of your life, everytime you see the phrase "Lifetime Warrantee", you will remember this message.

I hear that suckers also have lifetime warrantees. Is this true?

Reply to
TPutmann