How Do I Remove Old Linoleum Then Tile Over

Hello Everyone,

What is the best way to remove linoleum off a concrete slab?

We plan to tile over the slab. Can we just tile over the linoleum since it's glued to a concrete slab?

Thanks,

Jeff

Reply to
jeff mattison

By tile, I assume you mean ceramic? I seen it done with mastic over linoleum on a plywood subfloor, but even if the old linoleum is stuck firm, I'd be paranoid about the thinset or whatever sticking to a surface designed not to have stuff stick to it. I'm sure the experts will jump in here, but I'd also wonder about having what is essentially a vapor barrier in the middle of two quasi-stone materials. They rent machines to pull up linoleum- stinks like hell and puts off nasty fumes, but it does get the stuff up. Recommend asking your tile manufacturer/vendor, or your installer (if you were gonna use one) about acceptable substrates. YMMV, of course, but to me personally this would fall into the category of hiring someone who has done the work before.

aem sends.....

Reply to
ameijers

Jeff,

I lay ceramic tile over vinyl/linoleum floors all the time with no problems. I also used to work for a builder who laid vinyl first before tiling to keep the tile from cracking. He cut his tile call backs by 97%.

Having said that the vinyl or linoleum must be tight to the floor.

AZCRAIG

Reply to
cm

No need to remove it as long as it's in good shape. Make sure the mastic you use is suited for this linoleum substrate.

Reply to
davefr