How do I "popcorn" just a little bit of ceiling?

I have to repair a small portion of water-damaged ceiling which has a "popcorn" texture. After I've finished the sheetrock and sanding, how do I mix up just a little batch of "popcorn" texture, and how do I apply it to the ceiling. I don't want to have to buy 5 gallons of material, nor do I want to rent the equipment for just a small job. Thanks.

Reply to
KaySahn

They sell it in spray cans for touch ups

Reply to
mark Ransley

Check out your local DIY places like Home Depot or Lowe's and see if they have 'patch kits' for popcorn ceilings - when I had to fix a leak in my MIL's in Florida I got a kit at Home Depot that had enough to do the job without the need to get a massive amount that would end up at the dump!

Reply to
nospam

if you find a way, let us know... i have the same problem and i got the small spray can and it does not match up to the rest of the ceiling... in one area, very small around an a/c vent, i used a wet sponge and did an artistic job on it and it looks pretty much the same as the rest of the ceiling, but for other areas i would just like to spray some on and not have to do a artist job on it.... after talking to some guys who were buying some spray on supplies at home depot they just about all told me that you gotta scrape off all the old and start over again....if you want it to match...

Reply to
jim

Hi,

They sell it in a can or tub at home depot for small projects.

oj

Reply to
OJ

C'mon OJ. Tell us. You did it didn't you?

Reply to
Biff Buckmeister

Lowe's - Home Depot sells the stuff in bags according to the different texture you require. I did some extensive sheetrock repair in my fiance's house and there was everything from popcorn on the ceiling to almost sand texture on some of the walls. I made the repair and mixed some of the stuff in with the paint. I applied it with a 4" roller - cannot tell there was ever a problem.

Jim Mc Namara

Reply to
Jim Mc Namara

ROFLMAO

Reply to
Made In America

Reply to
George E. Cawthon

Hi,

Did what? I don't get it.

oj

Reply to
OJ

Reply to
k conover

As you've heard, get a spray can. But I can't overstate that you should cover and seal any and all nearby areas. The best way to describe what's going to happen when you hit that spray buttion is **EXPLOSION**.

Reply to
jeffc

It's just a whole different headache. And it's not always so easy to get off, although much of it can be.

Reply to
jeffc

Getting the old popcorn off is not the problem, fixing the mess the builder left under it IS.

-- "Shut up and keep diggen" Jerry

Reply to
Micro*

I got a couple of three cans to do some repairs. Hint: READ THE DIRECTIONS. Mask everything you don 't want it to get on.

Be ready. You have about three seconds or less before entire contents of can empty out. Seems like about two milliseconds. Hold it above eye level so the blast doesn't get you in the face. (Learned that on the first can.) That stuff comes out frightningly fast. Maintain the suggested distance between end of nozzle and work. Be cognizant before you squeeze the trigger if you are just going to shoot a small spot, or sweep over a larger area. You don't have time to think when it's coming out gangbusters. It is very easy to get too much in one place. You get one shot .......... make it good.

All in all, satisfactory results. Let dry for a couple of days, but take the masking down immediately. May need painting to match. I would do it again now that I have a little experience.

Hope this helps.

Steve

Reply to
Desert Traveler

Hope you havent tried the spray can yet, they suck. Lowes and home depot both sell a popcorn texture repair kit that comes with a bump gun and texture mixture, I've used these several times and the results are great. When you buy more texture mix, dint buy the premix in the gallon jugs, it dries yellow. They sell small bags of mix specifically for the little gun in the kit.

Reply to
bighead