How do i find a wood stud behind a wall that has a stone facade?

I am doing exactly the same as you are and am having the same problem finding a stud. I agree 16" oc is normal however my stud finder did find one stud, with some reluctance, and it was 17-1/2" from the corner stud. No idea why. Drilling holes through the mortar will work and you don't have to worry about patching, since I would assume you would drill in the location where the mantle will be anyway - which will of course cover the holes.

Reply to
Silverfox

replying to Silverfox, danny wrote: Im doing something similar but its a log mantle, if I drill into the mortar and put in lag shields will that hold it, it weighs about 100lbs

Reply to
danny