How difficult is this "reconstruction"?

Easy is a relative term! Myself, I would have no problem with it. Make certain it is not a load bearing wall. Any electrical to move? The suspended ceiling should not be a problem. You may be able to remove just enough of it to move the wall, or you may have to tear the whole ceiling down! As far as reusing materials, the ceiling you can reuse. The wall studs and plates you may possibly reuse, but sometimes they will be so full of nails, or damaged from tearing them out, that it is not worth saving them.. Greg

Reply to
Greg O

You do not mention how long you plan to stay in the home. You do not mention what happening to the other side of the wall. To me. seems like a hell of a lot of work for either 20 or 60 square feet.

Reply to
SQLit

My basement workshop is 10' x 30'. My wife suggested (yeh, really!) that I enlarge it by moving the wall over. It is a simple partition wall, but unfortunately it can only go over 2' before hitting a window. Still, that extra two feet would be wonderful. I don't know anything about construction, and wonder if it is worth the effort. The room I would be going into has cheap carpeting, cheap paneling, and a drop ceiling. There is one air return and a few electrical outlets; but everything would be made shorter, so redoing those should not be a big deal. I see the drop ceiling as the major problem, but have never actually worked on one, so don't really know. A friend assured me he would be glad to help, and it is all very simple. However, he thinks everything is very simple, and occasionally gets in way over his head. Concrete floor, wood frame.

So, just how hard would it be to tear out the old wall, redo the drop ceiling, and put up a new paneled wall? Am I like to be able to reuse any of the materials, or is that all scrap?

Reply to
Toller

We expect to stay in the house for maybe 8 or 9 years. The workshop will get 2' bigger, the finished basement 2' smaller. Hopefully when it is all done, it will look pretty much the same.

Reply to
Toller

Came up with another idea to extend part of the wall past the window, so it would be a 8x9 bump out. It will require half the amount of new wall, nothing (electrical or HVAC) would have to be moved, and it will fit with the ceiling panels perfectly. Looks like an easy project; it just isn't what she had in mind. Wish me luck!

Reply to
Toller

oh, oh, claiming more floor area without the little woman's permission ?

Maybe we best start giving advice on looking for a good divorce lawyer.

AMUN

Reply to
Amun