How are truss plates installed at a factory

Page 3 of 3
On Jan 3, 8:37am, snipped-for-privacy@home.com wrote:

Real truss plates are different than the POS ones sold retail.
I have a friend who owns a truss yard...roof & floor trusses.
In a production situation, the truss pieces are laid out on a truss assembly table with guides, blocks & stops. The truss plates are "tacked" in their proper locations by a single corner with a sharp hammer blow. A large stiff "roller" that spans the complete truss is made to travel over it...pressing the plates home. (keep your fingers clear!)
http://www.mitek-us.com/Machinery/Truss_Assembly/RailRider_Pro /
Mitek is the mfr of plates my friend uses... they are the "biggie" in the industry (at least as far as I'm aware)
cheers Bob

Large rollers or hydraulic rams.
On Thursday, January 3, 2013 at 11:37:32 AM UTC-5, snipped-for-privacy@home.com wrote:

.jpg

In the old days of putting trusses together manually they would use what th ey called a stomper. It was essentially a truck axle with a steel plate we lded to the flange. They would lay the truss on its side and stand on it t hen raise the stomper and slam the steel plate down onto the gusset plate, driving the entire gusset into the wood. It wasn't perfect but it worked.
On Fri, 13 Jan 2017 12:51:29 -0800 (PST), snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

I have used a big sledge hammer holding the handle vertically and using the flat top of the hammer head. These will not be legal trusses but they worked OK for my shed. Truss factories use a hydraulic press.