How about PODS

Pondering moving out of state. Current plans would be to sell Casa Kurt and rent for 6 months to a year before buying. Some of the current stuff (most probably) will be sold but we will want to keep furnishings and some other stuff. Basically we will have some stuff that goes to the appartment and some goes to storage until we find a house. If we use movers some of the stuff would have to loaded and/or unloaded multiple times (loaded house, unloaded for storage at new city, loaded back to go to the house, unloaded at house). We are contemplating PODS because we could load the stuff to the apartment in one for deilvery to the site and the other for delivery to storage area. Probably cheaper, definitely less handling of the stuff ending up in the new house. Anybody know of a particular reason(s) this is either a good idea or a bad one?

Reply to
Kurt Ullman

I think it is a good idea.

I've only made one major move...when I retired we moved from Honolulu to Veracruz, Mexico. We had a moving company ship most of our stuff to Houston where it remained in a storage facility for several years. Eventually, we moved back to the US (Florida) and had the Houston stuff shipped to us. Magically, it had increased in weight between the time it had entered the storage facility and the time it left; this despite the fact that a few things were missing (not to mention damaged).

My advice...

  1. Be ruthless in disposing of things. Unless they have high sentimental value, you may well be money ahead selling them, thus avoiding moving and storage costs, and buying shiny new stuff. And most of the small, sentimental stuff you will never miss...we still have unpacked boxes of them 25 years later.
  2. Avoid moving companies.
Reply to
dadiOH

I was curious about the idea too. A friend of mine used PODS. She was on a limited budget and said it was a positive experience.

I had to rent a storage unit for about a month when we moved from NM to TX. I had no idea of the logistics involved and I'll never do that again. If I ever had to do that again, (God forbid!) I'd look carefully at PODS, or something similar.

Reply to
gonjah

+1
Reply to
gonjah

PODS-like containers are generally a good method, particularly if interim storage is involved. Assuming you are OK with loading them yourself. One issue to be careful of is, is it OK to park them overnight at the 3 locations you mention, without running into issues of parking, zoning, apt management, etc.

I did a simple move with U-Pack.com (smaller containers than PODS) and it went well. Did the retired widower downsizing thing.

Can you downsize to 1 pods worth of stuff in total ? You could then use 1 pod to dropoff stuff at apt, then move remainder to storage. Just using 1 pod that way.

Good luck

Reply to
Retired

1 and 3 won't be a problem. Just put it in the home's driveway for a day or two. 2 might be interesting. Can you access your POD at the local storage area to move stuff from there to the apartment?

We'll see. Maybe.

Reply to
Kurt Ullman

We have used PODS for 2 moves and had a very positive experience both times. They are very easy to load as the floor is only 8 inches off ground. The people at PODS are very accommodating as our last use of them was a nightmare of continually shifting dates and number of PODS required. They really bent over backwards to make sure everything would happen on the schedule we needed. Storage was very easy and did not have any trouble/damage on either move. One word of caution, plan how everything will be packed in and tightly secured. I needed to repack one POD because thought would fill entire unit. Really made it end heavy so pull down top layer and redistribute the weight. Oh well, needed the exercise.

I am not in any way connected to PODS other than a very happy customer and would not hesitate to use them for the third time.

Reply to
NamPhong

With Upack, that was OK, as long as you were emptying the container the same day. What they don't like is you wanting to get at something one day, then put the rest back in storage, etc.

Reply to
Retired