House painting - price estimate

I=92m trying to get an idea of how much it would cost to have a house painted (outside.) This is in the Denver Metro. A couple of pics of the house:

It is a 1966 ranch, brick walls, so we=92re talking about the soffit, the part around the roof, door frames, misc wood trim here and there, you get the idea. The house is 1,400 sq ft, plus an attached 2-car garage.

I know it=92s hard to give an estimate given the above vague description, but I=92m looking for a ballpark number, so I=92m an informed customer when I meet with the painter to get an estimate.

TIA, Bubba

Reply to
bubbabubbs

Probably $3000 or More that is of course with a licensed contractor.Which you would want For liability purposes! John

Sam

So tell me.............how does asking someone on the internet who doesnt have a clue that pulls a number out of their ass make you an informed customer?? Wouldnt getting a couple estimates from contractors in your area that actually come out and look at your house give you a much better idea of what you should pay for painting your house? Bubba

Reply to
Bubba

snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote in news:3374136c-3f66-45de-a760-ac6fbc5284d0 @m44g2000hsc.googlegroups.com:

What a painting nightmare. All those thick high shrubs. I have no idea what it will cost but you can bet there's gonna be a premium for working around them!

Reply to
Red Green

I'd do it for $400

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in news:A%THk.2230$W06.1799 @flpi148.ffdc.sbc.com:

I'll do it for 350 if the shrubs get torched first. I wanna be the one who torches 'em though. And hey, if you want the soffits evergreen black I can probably skim another 25 off.

Reply to
Red Green

end the painting forever, with alunimum soffit and fascia, etc.

do it once do it right, and relax

Reply to
hallerb

It is impossible to give an honest estimate without looking at the house in person. How much prep is needed? (Caulking, sanding, priming, scraping) One coat of paint or two? Are those shrubs going to be cut back? What brand of paint would you like? Get estimates from local people (hopefully from ones who don,t hire illegals). The lowest estimate is not always the best deal. Ask your neighbors for referrals.

Reply to
greg2468

Yeah, and watch the trapped water rot the wood out, like on this place. Not a fan of skinning wood, at least not if you don't make damn sure to provide drain holes. If you go that route, REPLACE the fascia with plastic wood, and take down the old soffit and build back with ventilated alumimum, sloped properly so it doesn't aim water at the wall. I'd like to go back in time and beat the SOB that 'improved' this place. When/if I get around to it, it is gonna cost me a lot of bucks to make it right.

But as to OP's question- how long do you want it to last? The painting part is trivial- the hand labor to do the prep work and spot repair and priming adds up quick. Local handyman may charge a few hundred to throw paint up there, while a pro painter will take 2 weeks to do the work right, and charge upwards of $1500 (swag number). Like the others said, get several estimates, and make sure they all include scraping, feather sanding, priming, epoxy-stabilizing or replacing any mushy spots, etc, etc.

-- aem sends...

Reply to
aemeijers

optional.

** Posted from
**
Reply to
clare at snyder dot ontario do

I'd agree - those tall ones need to go. And for the cost of painting it twice with good paint you can have aluminum soffit, fascia, and gable siding and nevever have to paint it again in your lifetime. We had the aluminum siding on our house repainted this year after 38 years. The painter remarked on how nice it was NOT to have tall shrubs against the house (just a cherry tree that needed to be trimmed back a bit) House is a 2 story with brick veneer bottom and aluminm siding top, and aluminum siding on attached garage. Cost us $1700 for 2 coats of 3rd generation latex - no soffits (recently done in vinyl)

** Posted from
**
Reply to
clare at snyder dot ontario do

Nobody knows the condition of the paint so nobody can bid it, but it seems you dont care about a quality job and think its only just paint that it needs. There isnt much to paint, who knows about prep.Those bushes and trees are ugly, hide everything, make work expensive and keep in moisture, do some work.

Reply to
ransley

Is any community stupid enough to require licensing of painters=20 (other than general business licensing)?

--=20 Keith

Reply to
krw

Is any community stupid enough to require licensing of painters (other than general business licensing)?

Reply to
SteveB

Hey painters have to be licensed by the state contractor licensing Board!!

Reply to
Sam

You know you can't trust contractors to give a fair price! He needs to be able to bargain the painters down. And why is licensing and insurance so damned important? I'll bet you could get a much better price from someone who doesn't have the added expense of insurance. And if he has a license, he would have to follow all those regulations. Shortcuts mean a better price for you. Trust me. Look for the guy in the raggedy clothes and the old rusty truck and maybe doesn't speaka da english so good.. He doesn't have high expenses and thus needs less money to live. He's desperate and will give you a great price and an almost as good as the expensivel licensed, insured robber.......oops, I mean contractor.

Reply to
politicallycorrect

Personlly I think anyone that paints a brick house is a complete dumbass, but then that's just me!

Reply to
Been painting forever

What is dumb about painting soffits and door frames?

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Good that you know what you are. OP was asking about painting the WOOD TRIM, GABLES, and SOFFITS on a brick house.

-- aem sends...

Reply to
aemeijers

Have them done in a material that does not need painting. That is what I did.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery