Hotpoint Gas Range trouble

After a self cleaning cycle my Hotpoint gas range RGB745 does not work. What it does is flash the red indicator lamp "clean" without any of the "F" fault codes and does not bake or broil. Any ideas on what to look at?

Reply to
bamboo

Hi, Have you interrupted cleaning cycle by any chance? Did it complete the cycle and release the door? I'd unplug it and wait few minutes and plug it back in to reset the logic. Good luck,

Reply to
Tony Hwang

Problem solved. Well I removed the top, removed the knobs and manifold cover, took the door off and set it out of the way. Once I removed the cover for the door latch and switch assembly the problem became apparent. There was mouse nest debris where the resident engineer had packed insulation all around the microswich preventing it's operation. The only major hitch is that I had to saw scew slots into a couple of the manifold cover screws as they were phillips head screws made from that magic metal that melts upon the application of a screwdriver!

Reply to
bamboo

This is unrelated and probably an obsolete story by now.

But 23 years ago I used to have a Royal copier, from back when copiers cost 3000 dollars, but by then this was 10 years old, broken, and given to me by my employer.

I replaced the fuser heater and it worked pretty well for maybe 3 years, but then while I was trying to adjust the paper feeder, I couldn't get it to function at all. It turned out, there was a big array of full size relays (an inch cube), maybe 20 or 25 of them, and it turned out that a couple were latching relays. I had bought the manual, and it might have indicated this in the schematic but if so, I didn't recognize the symbol, and the text made no prominent reference. They didn't look very different at all, and I finally noticed that two were latching relays, and that I could reset them if needed, set them either open or closed, with a 9-volt battery. And sure enough one was set the wrong way.

I guess I cut off the power in the middle of a copy cycle, even though, by the time I fixed it, I didn't and don't remember doing so.

I'd never encountered a latching relay before.

Reply to
mm

Do you use quality phillips head screw drivers, and lean in on them from the very first time you use them in a screw?

There are also other ways to help. See recent threads. One was about buying a screwdriver with a tip of a different material. I think I have one but I forget what the material is.

I'm not saying you'll succeed with every screw, but I've increased my success rate.

Reply to
mm