Hot water tank noise

My hot water tank has started making a odd noise, it's not the normal poppy sound from tank deposits. The best description would be a half second drum roil about every 10 seconds. ( almost like a animal scratching itself in the wall) I have drained the water out of the system thinking it might be some kind of air harmer, Drained some of the water out of tank, the only way I have got it to stop is to shut the water to tank off and blow some water out of PRV. The tank is about 7 years old 50Gal, GE, self cleaning. It's pretty much non stop so any suggestion would be a help. Thanks

Reply to
Sacramento Dave

Do you have an anti-siphon valve? How about an expansion tank in your system? You may need one or you may need the one you have made functional again.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

they piped any air chambers in system) I do have to shock arrestors I am going to pipe the system. We have had the house about six months I am doing allot of remodel but plumbing wise have only changed some fixtures and replaced quiet a few angle stops, From the very small amount of plumbing that is exposed it looks like a kid did it not even close to code. (it's on a to do list) The noise has stopped why I don't know. But we do have a home warranty I might get a new water heater for a $45 dollar deductible.It is just a odd noise almost like a lose piece of metal rattling in the tank.

Reply to
Sacramento Dave