hot water heater pipe corrosion

Today I noticed that one of the copper pipes that is on the top of my hot water heater has some green corrosion on it. I didn't feel any moisture but there must have been in order for the corrosion to happen, right?

Should this be of concern to me? Being that I am a novice in this sort of thing, should I do something about it or call a plumber, or not worry?

Thanks Bonnie

Reply to
Bonnie Jean

A little is OK. Watch it over the next few months. If it does not get larger or start to leak, don't worry.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

per Dr. Hulda Regehr Clark on

" If your house has copper pipes don't wait for cancer or schizophrenia to claim a family member. Change all the copper pipe to PVC plastic immediately."

Reply to
effi

It's probably a little electrolysis, which is the chemical reaction between 2 dissimiliar metals, which in this case is the copper pipe and the galvanized fitting on the water heater. Technically there is suppose to be a di-electric insulator between the 2 metals. Usually a water heater comes with it already attached to the galvanized nipple on the top, but over time it might wear out. It could also be that what some plumbers do when they install a new water heater is remove the nipple altogether and just put a copper male adapter on the water heater. Just keep an eye on it as Joe Meehan said. A little is ok.

Reply to
Mikepier

Hey effi...you need this website.

You are very welcome.

Reply to
bell

spammer!

plonk!

say hi to them other two fellas while you're there

Reply to
effi

Jeeze, he/she's at it again. While this quack Doctor of psychology tells you to get rid of copper, she doesn't bother to say why.

Look at her bio:

About the Author Dr. Clark is an independent research scientist. Dr. Clark has a Bachelor of Arts, Magna Cum Laude, and the Master of Arts with High Honors from the University of Saskatchewan, Canada. Then she studied for two years at McGill University before attending the University of Minnesota and obtaining her doctorate degree in physiology in 1958. After doing government sponsored research for almost ten years at Indiana University, she began private consulting in nutrition in 1979.

She continued her studies to earn a Naturopathy degree and an amateur radio license. The freedom to follow her most promising observations led to the breakthrough discoveries described in this book.

What's an "independent research scientist"? Sound to me like someone no respected member of the scientific community wants to be seen talking to.

Who the hell has to brag about getting a ham radio license? I got mine when I was 13 years old, 55 years ago.

Since "effi" plonked me the last time I challenged him/her, I won't be expecting a direct reply from this character, who sounds like his/her whole alimentary canal has somehow gotten reversed.

I can't tell if "effi" is a wise guy trolling us or an ahole being serious.

Now, in response to the OP, it's quite possible that green corrosion resulted from the plumbing installer not completely cleaning all traces of soldering flux from the pipes when done soldering. Chances are good that it's minor and will not get any worse. Clean it off with steel wool and water and watch to see if it returns.

Happy New Year,

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Wisnia

you have a sick mind!

dr. clark is a world authority on cancer and you belittle her with your spam!

spammer!

plonk!

join them other fells in lala land forever (tools, message rules, blocked sender's list, you're now on it)

Reply to
effi

((Stuff deleted))

Damn! I'm jealous, I didn't get a plonk. Rather than accepting the bio, one might want to check the public records of the various Universities.

Reply to
George E. Cawthon

Thanks Mike and Joseph, for the advice. I will keep an eye out. (well not literally)

Effie, thanks for the laughs. Bell, I love the AFBD.

Reply to
Bonnie Jean

On 1/3/2005 2:40 AM US(ET), George E. Cawthon took fingers to keys, and typed the following:

Just Google her name. You will get pages like this:

willshak

Hi Bonnie. The account name is effi, not effie.

The issue was copper posioning in plumbing, not Dr. Hulda Clark's integrity (no wonder she's under attack, she has exposed many of the problems with the medical industry).

So copper poisoning through your water supply if your plumbing system is introducing it into your body is worth a laugh?

You'll probably be rolling on the ground in laughter at the information on these sites:

Brita, "The market leader in portable household water filtration."

haha?

haha?

haha?

haha?

haha?

haha?

I recall you mentioned your coppper pipe has a green coloration on it. Notice any off the blue and green coloration of the copper pipe mentioned on those sites?

Do your own Google search on copper pipe water posion.

You might want to consider hiring an expert to look at your plumbing so you aren't unknowingly being poisoned by copper, instead of relying on the comfort factor from personal attacks made on this discussion group by some very uninformed individuals.

Enjoy!

Reply to
effi

The OP said the corrosion was on the OUTSIDE of the pipe, which has no relation with what's happening to the water flowing through (or standing in) the pipes, does it now?

The links you offered indicate that high levels of copper in the water are evidenced by green corrosion on the wetted parts of fixtures and milky or "blue" water, and I'd expect that a sensible person seeing either of the latter two would take appropriate action to find out what's happening with their water. I do appreciate the links though, it never hurts to learn something new.

In our home, we use a Multi-Pure water filter for our drinking watersupply and change the filter cartridges regularly. I think that makes more sense than your rants about ripping all the copper out of an existing house before you even know whether there's a problem with dangerously high amounts of copper disolved in the OP's water.

Happy New Year,

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Wisnia

((Snipped))

Don't need to google to know that she is a quack. Anyone who claims to be able to or know how to cure all cancers at this time is obviously full of BS. I noted with interest that the site you gave doesn't dispute her BS, MS, and Ph. D. degrees. OTOH, having legitimate advanced degrees doesn't mean a person isn't nuts. Just look at the mathematician that was the subject of a recent movie. Strange how the movie folks found a need to invent different delusion from what he really had?

Reply to
George E. Cawthon